Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cats Community
4.01k Members

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

MY CAT WAS OUT ALL NIGHT LAST NIGHT AND CAME HOME THIS MORNING. HE WAS FINE ALL DAY UNTIL MY DAD SAID HE HAD A CUT UNDER HIS CHIN OR SOMETHING. I LIFTED UP HIS CHIN AND THERE IS A CIRCULAR CUT..A WOUND AND THERE IS A THING INSIDE OF IT. IT'S A WHITE THING BUT IT'S NOT A BONE. I DON'T THINK IT'S PUS BECAUSE IT'S IN THE MIDDLE OF BEING HARD AND SOFT. IT'S LIKE A YELLOW WHITE AND IT SMELLS REALLY BAD. THIS CUT/WOUND IS SURROUNDED BUT A PATCH OF MISSING FUR. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED BUT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT THIS IS. I HAVE TRIED EXPLAIN IT THE BEST I COULD BUT I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT. I'VE SEARCHED ON GOOGLE AND CAME ACROSS SOMETHING CALLED AN "ABSCESS" I THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN THAT BUT WHEN I LOOKED AT PICTURES OF THEM, IT LOOKED NOTHING LIKE WHAT MY CAT HAS. ALL THE ABSECESS PICTURES I SAW WHERE LIKE A HUGE BUMP AND WHAT MY CAT HAS ISN'T A BUMP ITS A CUT IN THE SHAPE OF A CIRCLE WITH THIS WEIRD WHITE THING. I POKED IT WITH A QTIP AND IT MOVES BUT IT'S STUCK IN THERE. I PUT A PICTURE UP OF IT. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT THIS IS I'M FREAKIN OUT!!
2 Responses
Are you still there?

Where did you put the picture up???? If it moves it could be a warble fly larva. Does it have a darkish part at the end????
228686 tn?1211558307
For those trying, I don't think they're taking pet pictures anymore. But...

The big danger here is if the following happened;

Sometimes cats will eat "strange things" and in the process they'll pierce the inner cheek/gum and get lodged between the inner and outer layers of skin.

The bad smell is infection (of course you know that!). But if there's a foreign object in there, it must be removed. Otherwise, it will cause tooth loss, loss of the lower jaw, even death. I'd advise taking him to a vet to be sure.
I've dealt with this, and the removal can be tricky and dangerous (we once had a cat that somehow got three inches of string lodged in the cheek pocket. It pierced the inner and came out the exterior cheek, It looked like a strange, white blob sticking out of the infected area. Once we removed it (carefully!) we were able to clean the area and administer antibiotics, cleaning up the mess. Luckily, no permanent damage was done!
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424120397
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439846583
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402547092
CA
740516 tn?1360946086
Brazil
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.