Should I put my cat through chemo?

My cat is 12 years old and has recently been diagnosed with a mammary adenocarcinoma. She had the tumor excised, then had radical surgery to remove mammary gland and tissue from her. The vet said that chemotherapy was the next step, but to first find out if if would increase estimated survival time, otherwise there would be no point in proceeding with the chemotherapy. She gave me some statistics from a study that put surgery + adjunctive doxorubicin treatment at 441 days mean survival time. This would indicate that there would be no gain from the chemotherapy, but does not specify if this is with just tumor excision or so called 'radical surgery'. I was wondering if anyone could offer any information on this - my cat is in good health otherwise, the tumor was less than 2cm in diameter (the vet reckoned i caught it early). I would go ahead if I thought there was benefit and extended life expectancy, but after two major operations I don't want to put my cat through any unnecessary suffering for little or no benefit.
Sorry to hear about Ozzy.  My name is Laurent.  Opus introduced you to me earlier. Please feel free to read my journals and ask me any questions you may have.

Lucy went through the entire mamary glands remove on one side.  The first biopsy was pretty scary, but the biopsy of the removed glands was much better.  We are opting of not putting Lucy through the chemo as she is doing very well.  It is a very difficult decision, but you need to weight the pros and cons for your and your friend.

Lucy lost her brother from cancer.  He had no sign of anything until it was too late and couldn't breath easily.  We put him through a lot for an entire week, for what!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions as I learned a lot about it with the help of this site, my vet and the oncologist.  
Thank you so much Opus88, i will do that as soon as I get home, right now I'm just crying at my desk at work. I greatly appreciate such a fast response.
Thank you so much for your post on Jun 1 about your 16 year old cat. My darling is 14 and was diagnosed with an inoperable tumour today. She has been prescribed prednisolone, and I hope and pray that it will be effective. From what I hear, chemo is expensive, distressing to the cat and probably would make little difference to her life expectancy.
I just came across this forum and your posts while i was researching cat cancer related info for my 10 yr cat, so I'm hoping that you could share some experience with me. Thank you very much in advance!  

My cat had a mammary glad tumor ( 2cm x 2cm ) removal surgery 2 weeks ago. The cancer had spreaded to her lymph node, so she had the whole left mammary gland and the lympth node removed at the same time, the surgery actually went well and she's recovering very well. However, the biopsy report just came back and our vet told us he would strongy recommend us to put her through chemotherapy .... we are really reluctant about that, we don't want to put her through any unneccessary suffering if that would only extend her life briefly.....  But our vet said if we don't do that, it's almost certain that the tumor will come back and would eventually make her suffer and kill her....
We are devastated and really have no clue if we should proceed with that... any advice from your experience would be highly appreciated!

I'm happy to hear your kitty is recovering well from the surgery, good girl!!!
Are you able to speak with a Veterinary Oncologist for their opinion???? find out all you can abt how difficult the Chemo would be on her...you can also check on a site I have on lymphoma, a different type of cancer however perhaps others there can tell you abt their Chemo experiences..

http://www.felinelymphomacaregivers.org/cases.html

Laurent hasn't been on for awhile, I sent him a note abt you asking for information, I hope he will see it and give you a reply...
all the very best of luck to your dear kitty, please let us know what you decide and keep us updated....((>^.^<)) Opus
Many thanks Opus88! Actually we live in HK and our Vet is not an Oncologist, although he does have extensive experience in dealing with feline cancer patients. We're bringing Chin Chin back to him today to remove the stitches and will then discuss in more details about next step...  I will come back and check the posts soon for other advices. And many thanks for your link.  
I've came across another useful site about mammary tumor. Maybe you might find it useful too.  

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_mammary_tumors.htm
thx for the site, i will bookmark it for future use if we get another poster looking for answers...just wish they'd date these stats!!

Welcome from HK!!!!

good luck to Chin-Chin today, update us later ok....♥
Very sorry to hear about your cat.  I can relate on the dilemma you are facing.  The original biopsy (before the operation) showed that the cancer less than 3cm, but would spread.  That’s why we decided to do the operation to allow more time to Lucy to be with us.  The second biopsy of the removed mammary glands was very good.  It looked like all the cancer was removed.

To be sure that the cancer would not spread, the oncologist recommended to have Lucy going through chemo.  We spent a few weeks thinking about it.  The side effects are not very encouraging.  We read some articles that some cats do not experience them, but I did not find any real testimony.  After the chemo, Lucy might be nauseated and lost her appetite.  She will then need to have to take some stomach pain medication (like PepsidAC) and some appetite enhancer pills.  Would it be a life for her!  She is doing so well, that we did not have the heart to put her through more. We asked out vet to do an X-ray of her lungs to see if the cancer already spread or not.    

With or without chemo, the cancer might come back.  It might be slower with the chemo, but there is no certainty.  How much longer would we be talking about and with which quality of life (that was important for us)?.  The biopsies’ summary was 50/50 on the result for follow-up with chemo for Lucy.

The chemo will not make your cat suffer, the dosage is extremely low compare to humans and your cat will not loose her fur – maybe her wiskers. She might be uncomfortable/sick from the side effects. What was the result of the biopsy of the mammary glands? The result truly helped us.

The decision is really yours and what you believe is best for your cat AND you.  Whichever decision you make, you should not regret it. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or would like to share comments.  You are your cat are in my thoughts    
Thank you Laurent, I'm very grateful for your advice!

We've done some research these few weeks and basically the whole family have came to the same conclusion that we will not let Chin Chin go through the chemo....  

The biopsy result shows the tumor is around 2x2cm, it has spreaded to the lymth node but thankfully not to the lungs. The chance for the cancer to come back is 50% at this point, if we opt for chemo, the chance for it to come back would be 30%.....  only 20% improvement but need to put her through the uncertain side effects of chemo.... we really don't want to do that...  

Right now she's recovering well from the surgery, she is eating well and sleeping well.. we just want to love her and spoil her for the rest of her time with us, and hopefully that won't be too short and it will all be quality time filled with lots of love and food!  and definitely without needles and pills.....

Thank you again for you guys sincere support, i'm glad that i have came across this page,  getting this heart warming support is very important for all of us! By the way, my Chin Chin looks exactly like your Lucy! They are both beautiful girls!
thx Laurent for weighing in and giving us all yours and Lucy experience....sharing this information is priceless to others going thru the same frightening decisions..♥

Jessica....we never know if we are making the right or wrong decision for our loved kitties...and I'm sure there'll be times you'll second guess yourself.
However, always know your decision was made in Chin Chin's best interests and wanting the best quality of life possible for her for as long as possible, you both are doing what your heart feels is right out of love and there cannot be any better reasoning than that!!!!
Feed high quality, good protein diet to keep her immune system healthy, but most important now is keep her eating and happy :-)

Yes both Lucy and Chin Chin are beautiful little girls,look alikes....sisters across the miles :-) I keep you both in my kitty prayers.
I'm so glad you found us too...keep us updated, sending you both love and purrs for that gift of extra time ♥
I'm not sure if this conversation is still running as it's been a while a comment was posted

My cat is going through her first chemo while I type this. At first I was very excited on the chemo  because the blogs about it are encouraging. I've done my part of the research and been optimistic even since.

But for some reason looking at the amount of medicines she's taken so far in the session just made me want to cry.

I can't wait for this to be over and to see how she responds to it to either continue or not.

I have taken the advice of an oncologist who is very popular and well recommended here by all vets ( Dubai )

I'd like to tell some of the people over here that if there is a chance for me to win an extra day with my loving cat I will do whatever it takes.

Cats don't know what is best for them but I'm very certain if there was  chance for a cat to ever know  there was a chance to give hope for a longer life that was not seized because of a ( better life ) theory we think we're offering, the cat would be very disappointed because at the end I know that my precious cat loves me as much as I do and she'd do miracles to spend more time with me

Cats get sick sometimes, vomit etc..I don't think having to vomit for few days after each therapy is considered bad quality of life. At the end we need to try and balance vomit for few days and lose of appetite in sometimes or life with your owner for 1 year ( form a cats perspective ) definitely live with the owner for a longer period.

I believe in always thinking from the others point of view to establish a fair result

Good luck to my loving ( poosy)

Fingers crossed
Elias
thx so much for posting and telling us abt your dear kitty Poosy. its a huge decision that each of us pet parents has to weigh carefully as you've done, so much of the decision depends on having a good oncologist that we feel comfortable with and trust.

There will always be some side effects associated with Chemo treatments however as you've stated some vomiting and lethargy for a day or two following a treatment aren't going to diminish her quality of life to drastically.
As long as Poosy continues to eat/drink/use her litter box and isn't in pain than I see no reason not to continue her treatments.
You know and love her better than the doctors, so its going to be up to you to judge when you feel her 'quality of life' is is to poor to justify continuing. As you've said and I agree this is a balancing act and lack of appetite for a few days and some vomiting is a small price to pay for the chance of gaining another year or more with your loving kitty.

I do wish you and Poosy all our best of wishes, we here all have our fingers crossed for her. I hope you will continue to update us on how things are going. bless you both♥
Thanks a lot for your kind words. Poosy's first session went  great

She's only  quiet and this would remain for the next few days. No loss of appetite or vomiting nor diarrhea. The Dr/Oncologist has given her after the sessions some medicines to support the after chemo process.  

For the knowledge, Poosy is 14 years old and  had 2 cancer surgeries in a period of 2 months | September and then November 2012. It is a very aggressive cancer and it grows quickly. Her scans prior to the surgery and Chemo were excellent.
We've done a full body ultrasound and a 3 different x rays covering the full Chest area.
I have pasted below our Oncologist input on Chemo therapy with it's do's and dont's. Our Dr. is Spanish and is top certified Oncologist and was recommended to us by the British, Australian and German Vet Hospitals here in Dubai. She was/is brilliant and cute too ;) I believe this very detailed report will be very handy. Report mentions also what was recommended for Poosy which was performed successfully at first session, Second last paragraph

Chemotherapeutic agents, or cytotoxic drugs, are potentially toxic, teratogenic (cause birth defects), and carcinogenic (can cause cancer.) While the benefits of using these drugs to treat cancer usually outweigh the adverse effects, it is important for each pet owner to be well-informed about the potential risks. If your pet is being treated with chemotherapy, it is important that you follow the following safety precautions to minimize your exposure to cytotoxic drugs.
Women that are pregnant, or planning on becoming pregnant, should avoid contact with patients receiving chemotherapy treatment. This also includes nursing mothers.

Adverse effects attributed to chemotherapy agents are uncommon, but possible. For those patients who exhibit intolerance, dose and scheduling adjustments are made to increase the patient’s quality of life. After each chemotherapy treatment, your pet will be sent home with written discharge instructions outlining potential side effects of the drug administered. Most common side effects are self-limiting—that is, resolve without any medical treatment. Sometimes a pet will experience more severe side effects, for example, vomiting or diarrhea that lasts more than 24 hours. We recommend that you contact the Oncology Service if you believe your pet is experiencing severe side effects after a chemotherapy treatment. Severe side effects may require hospitalization and IV fluid/drug therapy.

Chemotherapy drugs can be present in small concentrations in the urine and/or the feces, depending on how the drugs are metabolized. In these cases, it is important to avoid direct contact with any fecal matter or urine until after this time has elapsed. In the case of an accidental spill, or cleaning litter boxes, we recommend that you wear thick rubber gloves (for example, yellow kitchen gloves) and use absorbent paper towels to pick up the waste matter. Use a Ziploc bag to contain the waste, and try to absorb most of the waste before applying a mild detergent to clean the area. Then wash your hands. If your pet eliminates in the backyard, for example, it is a good idea to isolate a lower-traffic part of the yard for his or her elimination following chemotherapy, where it is less likely to expose anyone to the waste. In the environment, these drugs will degrade over time.

The chemotherapy drug recommended for Poosy would include a treatment with Doxorubicin every 3 weeks ofr a total of 5-6 treatments.
Doxorubicin (Adriamycin): Administered intravenously over 20 minutes. Patients are premedicated with Benadryl prior to treatment to minimize risk of an allergic reaction. Occasional side effects associated with Doxorubicin treatment include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gastrointestinal upset. Doxorubicin can cause significant nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, sometimes within 12 hours of treatment, but typically seen 2-5 days after treatment. Patients may be sent home with antinausea or antidiarrhea medications to prevent these side effects. Please contact the Oncology Service if Poosy develops severe vomiting or diarrhea. Doxorubicin can decrease the number of circulating white blood cells 7-14 days after treatment, which may make your pet more susceptible to developing an
infection. A low white blood cell count is not clinically significant unless the patient is showing symptoms such as fever or an infection, or if it occurs in combination with severe vomiting or diarrhea. Doxorubicin is red in color, and some patients will pass urine which is red after treatment with Doxorubicin. This should resolve within a few days. Renal failure is a rare side effect associated with cumulative treatments with Doxorubicin This is more likely to occur with more than six treatments with Doxorubicin, but some cases have been reported after only a few treatments. To monitor for any early changes to Poosy a complete bloodwork, including a renal panel is performed prior to each treatment with Doxorubicin. A rare or uncommon side effect of Doxorubicin is perivascular damage; please contact the Oncology Service if Poosy has redness, irritation, swelling, or excessive licking near the injection site. Hair loss is an unusual side effect of Doxorubicin, although pets with continuously growing hair coats are more susceptible to hair loss. Doxorubicin is excreted in the urine and the feces for up to two days. Please consider any urine or feces hazardous until after this time has elapsed.

The goal of chemotherapy is to slow down the progression of the disease and to avoid the recurrence of the tumor. Chemotherapy works better with microscopic disease, once surgery has been performed in order to remove the primary tumo
Try Artemisin....a holistic vet treats cancer with this and it works great for tumors. research it pls before chemo.
Thanks for this. I have checked it and red some very good articles on it. But some say it is still understudy while some vets have used this drug and it was proven successful

I've just forwarded to the Doctor that treated our cat last and will await her feedback.

Is it still recommended after 1 chemotherapy is performed?
My integrative vet uses it and has great sucess. Of couse some will say it is still under study, anything that works will never be approved by our goverment. If you go to the yahoo groups and look up Artemisin Cats there are 2 forums which can direct you about it and there sucess storys. I had a girlfriends cat who her house vet wanted to try it on her cats mouth cancer but she thought it was to late. Anyway , anything is better than Chemo. I had a kitty who was on all sorts of herbs for her soposidly lymphoma....long story.
BTW there is something even better called Blood Root that is used for tumors. It shrinks and removes tumors. The vets or people apply it to dogs, horse tumprs and they just fall of after a while. Maybe a week or so. Check that out....
thankyou for filling us all in on Poosy's diagnosis and treatment, I am so happy to hear she is tolerating the first treatment well, it sounds like you have a very well respected oncologist and it means so much to have confidence in those we trust our loved little pets too.

I am assuming the tumors Poosy had removed were mammary tumors?

the bloodroot hannelore talks of is avail in the US as Neoplasene.(as far as I know)...and is used on existing tumors to shrink in place of doing invasive surgery. now that Poosy's tumors are removed I'm not so sure this method can now be used?
It would certainly be worth talking to your Oncologist abt Elias...and get her opinion.
Other great supplements to use from what I've read are tumeric and essiac tea. for humans as well as animals.

keep us posted....wishing Poosy a healthy year ahead!!

http://www.buckmountainbotanicals.net/downloads/2010%20cancer%20paper%20website.pdf
Thanks for the report. It is great.

Yes it is unfortunately the mammary tumors

My unfortunate luck is I have just been introduced to the oncologist last month. It was hard to trust the other vets I've dealt with as they were very traditional with their treatments and never felt really they planned ahead or at least spoke of this all great options you guys have shared.

I just wonder why all the examples shown in the report were all external tumors?

I will discuss this as my third 12 year old cat  might start developing a tumor and I will surely have the blood root done for her.

The success stories of Neoplasene are extremely encouraging and the report is very detailed and credible which in a way upsets me why no vet has spoken to me about the blood root before the surgeries done for poosy and her kitten/daughter who died last month when Cancer spread to the lungs. Although it was a closed story I still shared her reports and 2 oncologists confirmed to me it wasn't suppose to spread there that soon

And sadly you're right.
My oncologist answered saying it is still under study.

That's her official response.

Artemisinin is still under study for cancer treatment  in vitro an animal models studies. As far as I know, there is no published studies regarding cancer treatment in animals with artemisinin in the last 10 years of bibliography.

Artemisinin has not been reported for use of cancer in small animals. There is no information about type of treatment, side effects, doses, etc... I have never been in contact with this drug neither anybody that I know (not even my mentors in the University of Florida).

Unfortunately, there is not too much information about the efficacy of adjuvant (after surgery) chemotherapy treatment for feline or canine mammary tumors. Prospective, randomized trials will be necessary to determine the appropiate use of chemotherapy in cats with mammary tumors. Veterinary oncologist still recommend the use of chemotherapy, such as doxorubicin, as an adjuvant treatment for aggressive feline mammary tumors.

To be honest, as far as I know, my knowledge supports the use of doxorubicin in Poosy´s case.

many Vets including oncologist and specialist of all sorts do not support the holistic treatment options unfortunately.....b/c IMO when you have a loved one ill with cancer or any other health problem, its good to know all the options out there.

as with anyting there are pros and cons...this site deals with neoplasene treatment with dogs. some have rave reviews while others are very discouraging...its so hard to know isn't it.

http://www.dogcancerblog.com/neoplasene-as-a-dog-cancer-treatment/#comments

interesting, I found this article on arteminsin..(wormwood) appears this site lumps cats in with the same dosage as a small dog(under 25lbs) also that herb contains phenolic acid and tannis that cats cannot tolerate. so I would be hesitant to use.

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/03/26/artemisinin-when-cancer-cells-kill-themselves/

a few suggestions from those that treat holistically include. Vit C injections...I can find more info on that if you like.

they also really advise acupunture treatments to all cancer patients pets too....to support healing.

there is also the herb IP6 used with alot of success.

I found this on doxorubicin but sounds like a repeat of what you already know...

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_doxorubicin.html

keep on searching and finding all you can as you have been doing, we need to be informed and use this to help our kitties in anyway we can. I wish you nothing but the best in days ahead♥
Hello to Laurent & Everyone,

I'm sad to have to join this discussion. Our 11 year old tabby, Sugar, was diagnosed with feline mammary cancer about 2 weeks ago. She had the lumpectomy and unilateral mastectomy about 11 days ago. Her biopsy results were good. The tumor was malignant (OK that's not good but it was expected given the statistics), but her type of tumor is slow replicating, they got it all and did not see any evidence of it in the lymph nodes. She had the lung x-ray before the surgery and there was no sign of it there. Her tumor was 3 cm.

She has her stitches out yesterday and is doing very well. We go back to the onocologist on Friday and I'm anticipating that the topic of chemo will come up.

My gut reaction to chemo is not to do it for quality of life reasons. For those of you who have had to make this difficult decision, what were some of the things you considered when making your decision about chemo?

Thanks and many purrs to all of you who have traveled this sad road with your beloved kits.

Jeanette
hi and I'm sorry you had to join this particular discussion also...I am so sorry for all that poor little Sugar has gone thru and many decision ahead for you as well.
Laurent and Lucy haven't posted an update since early Dec. you can go to his journal and read the update and great news that Lucy is doing very well, Laurent opted out of the chemo for Lucy and isn't regretting his decision. You may send him a private message thru the link on his page too, that way he gets an email notification and he is so good at replies..
read his journal of Lucy's journey starting at the bottom with the date May 2012.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_posts/list/2193335?personal_page_id=2691122

there have also been other posters who have gone the chemo route...but they haven't updated us on the progress so I'm sorry I can't pass on any info in that regard. it is my understanding that cats are given a very low dose and most can tolerate it very well with few side effects. Talk in depth with your oncologist and keep doing your research, its a huge decision to make.
Please keep us updated on little Sugar, we are all wishing her all the very best and a long as well as good quality life ahead with her mommy. I can give you a list of good cancer/tumor fighting supplements that are safe for use on kitties if you are interested please contact me♥
Hi Lauren,
Not sure you are still online since it has been a few years. I am in your exact situation and I was curious as to your outcome with your cat. My cat just underwent surgery and they are now recommending Chemo. I am very hesitant to proceed. How did your cat respond to the Chemo and is she still alive? If not (and I am sorry for your loss), how much time did it give her? Being a few years down the road, would you make the same decision again today?
Hello, it has been some time and I apologize for my absence. Here is an update on Sugar.

After her lumpectomy and unilateral mastectomy, her oncologist did not recommend chemo, but wanted to monitor her very closely. Her first re-check was in early March and she was doing well so he wanted to see her in 2 months. In early April her regular vet gave her her annual vet exam and shots.

Three weeks later I discovered a lump in the same place as the first one. I was so devastated. It was worst that finding the first one. Of course we saw her oncologist right away and we scheduled surgery to have it removed. It was a local recurrence and thankfully her lungs and lymph nodes were still clear. At that point her onco felt that chemo was warranted.

I had always said I would never put a pet through chemo, but when you're in the reality it's different. We have gone forward with the chemo is and she is tolerating it very well. No sickness or diarrhea and no change in her energy, appetite or temperment. She has had four and has one more to go on August 5.

We don't know that the chemo will help, but we don't know that it won't. We want to give our baby girl her best possible chance and we believe that this is it.

I have started an organization to spead awareness about mammary cancer in animals. Our website is http://sugarrub.org/. We also have a Facebook page: https://www.************/pages/Sugar-Rub/587437321283860?fref=ts

I am interested in the list of good cancer/tumor fighting supplements that are safe for use on kitties that you mentioned in your earlier post.

Please keep our sweet Sugar in your positive thoughts.

Love, Hugs, & Purrs to all who are fighting this hideous disease.

Jeanette

hi Jeanette, I am so sorry Sugars tumor recurred so quickly, that is just heartbreaking to need to put her through another surgery so soon...yes devastating I can believe, and I agree what we say 'we'll never do' than 'what we do, do'  when we are faced with the decision are sometimes two different things...its so hard to give up unless we feel in our hearts we've done everything we could.
I'm just so glad she is tolerating the chemo so well....:)

for cancer its very important you feed her a NO grain, HIGH protien diet..no by-products..get a good source of high protien.

I will list a few supps that I read are recommended for cancer treatment, I urge you to always check with your oncologist as well for their thoughts..I also urge you if you are going to try some or all of these supps you always start slowly as to not cause a GI upset and please buy the recommended brands b/c others may have ingredients that aren't good for use in Cats...such as soy for example.

Iherb is a good company to order from....good products and great service.

http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Enzymatic-Therapy-Cell-Forte-Max3-120-Veggie-Caps/2108/?p=1

1/2 capsule in broth 2x per day

http://www.iherb.com/LivOn-Laboratories-Lypo-Spheric-Vitamin-C-30-Packets-0-2-fl-oz-5-7-ml-Each/25231

Lipo C from Liv on Labs...absorbed at a much higher rate than any other forms of C, liposmal means it is absorbed into the cells as opposed to passing mostly unabsorbed thru the GI tract or kidneys. its EQUAL to IV viamin C...and widely used for human cancers as well.
this form comes in packets mixed with alcohol, so for the safety of you kitty open the packet and let AIR for half and hour. use 1 packet per 24 hrs( KEEP REMAINDER IN THE FRIDGE AND dispose of after 24 hrs if any left unused)...space the full packet throughtout the day....giving small amounts mixed with broth by dropper or syringe(orally)

and lastly TURMERIC...an excellent immune booster and anti inflammatory. use up to 500 mg (1/2 capsule) mixed with food or give via dropper after a meal.

http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best-Curcumin-C3-Complex-with-BioPerine-1000-mg-120-Tablets/12137

like I mentioned before, speak with your oncologist abt these supplements...I know they are safe but I'm just not sure if they should be used while Sugar is on Chemo or afterwards? these are mostly used by holistic people in lieu of Chemo....so can't find info if they can be used ALONG WITH Chemo or not...
When starting ANY medication or supplement always begin with one at at time...just INCASE there is any reaction such as tummy upset you will knw whats causing it and what to cut back on or d/c

my prayers, keep us posted♥

we have just lost our most precious baby who was 14years old. she had been diagnosed with lymphoma the most aggressive strain. she had a mass removed and biopsy taken and found to have signs in her organs. Chemo was recommended and we went on that advise. We were WRONG to do so. She suffered badly and died within 48 hours of the treatment.
She didnt understand what was happening, lost control of her bladder and bowels and it was a totally undignified end for such a sweet spirit.
She smelt of chemicals and her fur turned bright green from the discharge.
if we had known that this could occur we would never had put her through it.
She died at home in our arms at 4.30 in the morning so at least she didnt die in a vet surgery.
Beware of the risk of killing your precious friend. If i had my time again i would have just made her as comfortable as possible and treasured the time i had left with her.

i post this on the hope that i can save someone else the pain we are now going through that we put her through that.
I am so sorry.....this is heartbreaking, you tried to do your best for your precious baby and it didn't end up being the case, I too am so relieved to know she was at home with those that loved her at the end.
thank you so much for sharing this with everyone. RIP little one♥
My cat was diagnosed with Lymphoma in late March. He is 15 years old. The vet gave him a steroid shot and an x ray. She said probably best to have him put to sleep. Also that he may not be able to survive the treatments if I decided to have chemo done.
I took him home terribly upset and crying. Decided to let him live out his remaining days with me at home. Vet never called to follow up on him although she said she would.
Yesterday April 10,2014 he passed away at 8:05 AM.
He drank water and ate very little the last remaining days up to not eating or drinking at all. It was terribly horrible to see what this disease had turned him into.
After reading all the comments on here, I'm glad that I DID NOT put him thru Chemo or antibiotics and make him suffer more than the poor thing did.
I gave him the best care I possibly could.
I cried for him  more than when my father died.
Thank you and my best to all.
I am very sorry for the loss of yr dear little kitty, it's so sad to read of all these losses. You did what you felt was in his best interests and that's all we pet parents can do, we love them wth all our hearts an it's so sad to watch them struggling. RIP dear boy
After two vomiting spells and an some constipation My almost 15 beautiful boy had a complete blood panel and x rays and all looked great.  Then I had an ultrasound last week in my vet's office by a visiting radiologist I never met.  My vet met with me afterward and said Wookie had a thickening of the intestines but it was very small so no aspiration was done because she didn't think she could get near enuf to get a good sample.  Then I was basically given a choice of let it be or surgery to remove it and resection the intestine. If I chose let it be, she never even mentioned prednisone to ease the pain.   All the posts I've read seem to have had definite diagnosis of what they were dealing with before choosing what route to go.  Did I miss something here?  I feel like I don't have the whole story and should start over with a new vet but hate to put him thru the driving and tests again.  He tolerates it but is much happier at home.  
Hi, you definitely NEED a specific diagnosis of cancer before you go the chemo route.  What if this thickening is not cancer?  And, it's such a small area!

Please give some more details on your cat's condition.  What made you take him to the vet in the first place?  What is the vet's opinion of the thickened area?

And, please start this as a new thread.  You will get many more responses that way.  This is an old thread and many people skip over the old ones.
  Hi there

Can I ask how long did your cat survive after ?  
What ever happened with your cat? I never liked chemo options myself. :/
I was going to post a long story then I realized this was old. Anyways, to cut the story short for anyone else wondering - Chemo should always be a last resort. My friend's cat was 7 and went through it and it killed her.
I appreciate your concern & opinion.
When I discovered my 2 year 9 month cat had developed a  lymphoma cancer tumour which had strangulated his left side kidney, my vet's opinion was to go ahead & extract the kidney, which was a straight forward operation, he recovered quickly & the vet's further advice was to go for the chemo IV treatment there, every three weeks, with weekly tablets at home in between & also regular steroid tablets & appetite ones. Although this worried me & the amount of chemicals, my vet (who has 25 years practice experience) said it would be worth it to proceed, as he was young, strong & resilient.
My cat lived for a further 10 months, he enjoyed most of that time, although he had his bad days, he always bounced back & lived a normal life, playing outside with his twin brother, climbing, running, playing etc., although his appetite become poor, his weight remained stable, until three weeks before he became weak, dehydrated & lost nearly half a kilo in weight, it was a drastic change & with my vets & my self's agreed opinion, he was put to a peaceful sleep, before he suffered critically.
Those 10 months was extremely special in my lifetime, the many moments & extreme closeness, love & understanding we shared will stay with me everyday forever.He loved life & was so very beautiful & sweet.
Was I wrong ?
I appreciate your concern & opinion.
Was I wrong ?
I believe Lauren you have made the correct choice, your vets advice was very similar & as I said, my cat enjoyed a mostly good normal quality of life in & out of the house for 10 months longer.
Good luck & bless your dear kitty.
Excellent Lauren!
I'm still positive you & your vet are doing the correct & best.
Please keep me posted.
I am writing this in case someone in the future comes across this post looking for advice or to see what other's decisions have been, and the outcomes.  I am currently in this battle myself with my 5 year old cat, Jakoby.  The last week has been an emotional roller coaster that I would not wish on anyone with a four-legged child.  But if love was enough to save Jakoby, then I wouldn't have to write this.  Unfortunately, however, that is not how it works.  Jakoby has adenocarcinoma that has metastasized.  The tumor is in his secem (sp?) which is right between the small and large intestine in cats.  They can proceed with surgery, but it will probably not do much as it has already started spreading.  Chemo is also there as an option, however this form of cancer does not respond much to chemo.  Yes, I could put him through this options and may give him an additional few months of life, however it will not change the outcome.  And those few months will not be pleasant for him.  I would do absolutely anything to save him, but unfortunately in his case the decision was almost made for me.  They tell me that, at best, he may have 1-2 weeks left. I am enthused for all of you who have given the treatments to your pets and they have responded well, for whatever amount of time.  But I wanted to give real honesty with this for anyone who may ever have to face what I currently am.  At the beginning of this, I promised Jakoby that I would do absolutely anything in order to make him better.  But I also promised that I would never cause him to suffer for longer than he needed to.  He is not able to tell me what he wants, but as his "mom" I feel that I should know.  And to me, I could be selfish and go through with surgery and chemo, but it would not be the quality of life I know he would want.  The greatest gifts I can ever give him is the gift of the best life possible and the gift of peace.  I will love him for whatever amount of time I have left with him, most likely a matter of days, and then send him to a much better place where he will no longer know pain.  My advice is, I know we all want to have our four legged children for as long as absolutely possible.  But when they are sick, it is not our interests or wishes that need to be factored in.  It is what is best for them, no matter how much it breaks our heart.  Love them and provide them with the best life you possibly can for as long as you are lucky enough to have them.  And then have the strength to give them the peace that they are undoubtedly looking for.  They have loved you with all of their ability.  Now love them enough to let them go.  
Hello Onelove3123 and thank you for sharing your story, I completely understand what you have been through, letting them go is the last thing we all cat/animals lover want to do, but it is sometime the best and only choice to stop our pets from suffering.
My 10 year old cat, Sally has recently been diagnosed with nasal lymphoma.  She's on week 3 of chemo and is on daily prednisolone.  She's doing really great, and I only hope she gets even better.  This was a hard decision to make, but it was either that, or put her down, and I knew when looking at her that it wasn't time yet.  My doctors/staff at ASEC in Los Angeles are fantastic.  Best wishes to everyone in this thread...and for those that have lost their fur baby...my heart goes out to you all.
Hi and welcome, I'm sorry for your dear baby....that's such a terrible thing to face, you went with your heart and wanted to give her every chance you could...I'm glad to hear she is tolerating it well and I certainly hope and pray it will buy her many more months of quality time with you.....sending along a prayer...PLZ keep us posted, we appreciate all the updates that will be of help to someone else's baby one day..also we truly care and want to support you both on this journey. All the best
Hi Lauren,
my cat Cinders was in a similar position having had surgery and chemo.I wrestled for a long time whether to give her chemo and was told that it was unlikely to cause any kidney damage etc and that it would be helpful in prolonging life. However I found  In general this not to be true as the chemo is a waste of money it has to be said as my cat has just passed away after just 12 weeks from commencement
Cats do not respond to chemo very well despite all the scientific arguments and after experiencing it first hand my thoughts are that it is unkind as it damages their other organs very quickly .
If you are in the same boat as I was looking here for answers plain and simple it will not prolong your cats life and possibly even shorten your time together . My advice is based on actual experience and cost me almost £1,600 so please if you are reading this and your cat has had an op and been diagnosed with mammary cancer unless it is caught right at the very start I.e a very small tumor just give your cat lots of love and affection that's the best treatment you can give. In most cases it will recur and spread to the Lymph nodes rapidly and you will not be able to tell unless you perform a fine aspirate needle exam by which time it is too late anyway.
I can only offer my opinion and I hope that it will help anyone who is faced with the same dilemmas as I was.
Hi Lauren,
Hi Lauren,
this made me cry ..my baby is 16 mth old and has a tumour which had fluid on it in his lounges which made him not breath they drained some of the fluide to help him breath but they say i need to do chemo for six wks and then my cat will have a good quolity of life for a year but doing the chemo will not take it away he will die ,,this happend tuesday and i have had no sleep thinking what to do.do i put him to sleep or go ahead with the chemo i want whats best for lily as i love him so much and dont want him in pain,they said if i go down the lines of chemo the tumour will shrink and give him a better quolity of life .im so dont know what to do :(
My lil girl Mitzy has just been diagnosed with the same thing and I am wrestling with the best thing to do for her..... Not me. After reading ur response it has confirmed my fear that I need to let her go. This is the hardest thing I wl ever do. As I write this she is cuddled on my lap and loving me as much as I love her. She&#39;s 2 years and 9 months old and I&#39;m absolutely devastated :( xx