Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cats Community
4.01k Members

Skin (Biting)

We have three cats, which none have fleas.  We always have used the monthly flea treatment just in case.  They are both inside/outside cats, & of course gets their yearly shots.  Started a few months ago one has started acting as if something is constantly biting him.  He twitches his back muscles, bites at his back and chews on it (as if he had fleas).  We have inspected him many times and given him baths.   (I give my cats baths about 3-4 times a year)  There is no signs of irritation of any kind on his skin.  Both skin & hair seem very healthy.  I hate to see him act so uncomfortable.  Any idea what this may be?   (We usually go to our vet - but my husband has been layed off work)  Tks!
1 Responses
609884 tn?1227333003
Hi,

Since the skin and fur seems healthy and you are treating for fleas, etc., I think that this is probably a nerve or muscle issue.  Especially since it is occuring exclusively on the back.

It could be as simple as a pinched nerve.  There are a lot of possbilites here, not necessarily serious.  When you can, if this continues, I'd have it checked out by a vet.

In the meantime, try Yucca root supplement, which has anti-inflammitory properties and make sure your cat is getting enough hydration (canned food along with wet and drinking water) - I don't think that dry skin is an issue here, but it's best to make sure.

Also, I'd cut out the baths (for all your cats, actually).  You aren't doing it frequently, so it probably isn't an issue, but shampoos dry out a cats skin and strip necessary oils and bacteria (yup, necessary bacteria).  There's no need to wash kitty, just wipe his fur with a damp  cloth if he gets into a mess, otherwise he'll be fine on his own!

Good luck.  Keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424120397
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439846583
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402547092
CA
740516 tn?1360946086
Brazil
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child