Cats Community

What cat food is good for bad kidneys

Our 13 year old is at the vet, his blood tests came back pretty good, but his kidneys levels are borderline. The vet didn't call it kidney failure.  He has to go on a special kidney food, and I was wondering if there is one food that is better than another for kidneys.  I know the vet sells some, but was wondering if there all the same, or if theres one better than another
Hi Linda, check out the link to this feline kidney disease website.  It's an awesome link.  The very first page has a list of foods that are good for cats with kidney disease.  It's got lots of other helpful info on it too!

http://felinecrf.com/managd.htm
Zodiacqueen, thanks for the site.  We tried him on Hills k/d canned, he won't eat it, but yet he will eat the Hills dry.  We give him small amounts of Hills k/d dry, along with his normal canned food, (which is probably considered junk, but still has large water content)  I don't know if theres any benefit in giving him the small amounts of k/d dry or not
We initially took him to the vet for sinus problems, which he always has, and both of his third eyes were half closed.  I'm concerned that after 10 days of antibiotics his eyes are no better, the vet is going to call me back today to let me know what to do.  Thanks again

Hi Linda.  I've dealt with kidney issues with several of my cats and NONE of them liked the k/d soft food, but they all liked the k/d hard food.  I say, we gotta do whatever is going to keep them eating.  I did the same thing as you're doing w/ the hard food and the "junk" soft food.  Mine did fine with that.

As for the sinus issues, does your fur baby have allergies?  Or, if it's bacterial, maybe he just needs a stronger antibiotic.

Hope it gets cleared up soon.  

Please, keep me posted.
Its a continuous sinus problem, he'll clear up from the meds, and slowly get bad again.  When we took him for the sinuses,  that's how we found out about the kidneys.  
He's going back tomorrow because of the third eye problem, maybe it just takes time for that to go away, I don't know.  I was hoping they could just prescribe a stronger antibiotic, but naturally they want to see him, they have no idea how hard it is to catch him, and medicate him.  Out of all my cats he is the worst, and naturally the one that gets sick the most.  I'll let you know how I make out
Took Ozzie back and the vet thinks he has Horner's syndrome, probably caused from the sinus inflammation.  I was putting ointment in his eyes, because we thought they were infected,she said stop because it won't help if its Horners.  I guess it just takes quite a while to get better.  

She also said since he's not strictly on k/d food that theres no sense in giving him dry k/d with his regular canned food because he eats mostly the canned and the dry isn't doing any good.
Wow, Linda.  I've never heard of Horner's Syndrome in a cat before.  I've heard of it in people, but I forgot what it was about.  I did a quick research on it and found a decent site.  Check this out when you get the chance.  It seems unusual to me.  I'm sure it freaked you out!  I know I would've been freaked!   By the way, I did read that this could go away on it's own!!  Fingers crossed for Ozzie!!

If it IS sinus issues, I wonder if they make inhaled steroids for cats.  They do for people now-OTC Flonase and Nasacort.  I'll have to do some more research.  If inflammation is the cause of this Horner's, then a steroid would help.

Thanks for the update.
Here's the link to that site on Horner's Syndrome.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/horners-syndrome-in-cats/3977
Thanks for the link, I'm surprised to see that its kind of rare, but with Ozzie it shouldn't surprise me.  He was feral when we got him, and for 12 years he's always had some type of allergies/sinus problems.  He also had stomatitis?, and had to have his teeth removed.  The vet had given him a steroid shot when we first took him 11 days ago, so she said there was nothing to try on him now except wait and see.  He acts okay, but looks like a cat from "The Walking Dead" TV show.
Thanks again for the link.
Did the steroid shot help him at all?

I'm wondering if this is a virus that he got as a kitten.  My mom just got a kitten that also has an upper respiratory infection that her vet said was viral.  I did some reading and saw that this takes a long long time to go away.  And, after it does go away, it could resurface when their immune system is stressed.  They can also be carriers and infect other cats.  That is what I worry about with her other 4 kitties.  One of them, REALLY doesn't need this virus.  He's 15 and has kidney disease.  I constantly stress over this kitten giving this nasty virus with the other ones.  Not a day goes by that I don't worry over it.

Anyway, her vet suggested giving Lysine to strengthen all the cats' immune systems.  Maybe you can do the same for your fur babies.
Ozzies comes and goes, but he has never given it to my other cats, so if your moms cat has the same thing, she doesn't have to worry.  She'll just have to deal with it coming and going during his lifetime.

I don't know what helped him, the steroid or the antibiotics, probably both.  He'll be good for about 3 months max, and then start all over again.  Can the Lysine be put in their food, its way to hard to give it to him orally?
COMMUNITY LEADER
sorry this is a rush post.....haven't read all the thread yet. just wanted to offer my opinion on Lysine. yes it is very good for the immune system, however the brands the Vets sell are full of fillers and more expensive than buying it from a vitamin/supplement outlet
this is the one I use on two of my cats....one with herpes virus the other a runny eye that could be associated, and it works wonders
buy from this reputable company in California...shipping is only abt $4. and the pure Lysine is very safe for cats. a scoopful is equal to 1200mg. use just a bit less (1000mg) for a week than cut that in half to 500mg for longer term treatment.....its pretty tasteless you can mix it in with  food or mix with a bit of water and give via a dropper.

http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-L-Lysine-Amino-Acid-Powder-3-53-oz-100-g/13608
Opus, do you think its okay to give it to Ozzie if his kidneys are slightly bad?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I don't see why not but I would sure ask your Vet first just to be sure....
I'm glad Opus chimed in about Lysine. I have no clue how much Lysine to give in OTC! My mom got hers from the vet-I'm sure for much more money than buying it at a drug store!! The cats hated it and she ended up ordering some Lysine in a gel formula online. Much easier to give them.

Let me know if you're interested. I'll ask her what site she got it from.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Just a comment, iherb isn't a drug store, it's a vitamin/supplement supply outlet...very reputable dealt with them for few years :) ZQ glad yr mom found one the cats would take, as with anything we try to give cats it's not easy, just wanted to add even in a gel form you are getting additives/ fillers thus needing to use much more to get the same effect as when using in pure form as the powder, not to mention it than becoming much more expensive. This pure powder lysine is less than $10 and enough for months......its actually sold for human use, as you know as soon as a product is labeled a Veterinary or Pet formula the price skyrockets...
COMMUNITY LEADER
I should have mentioned, not exactly sure how many mg a kitten would need? The 1000mg is for an adult cat, when I gave it to my 10 week old kitten I used bit less than half a scoop so approx 500 mg than cut it down to 250 after the first week, she hasn't needed any after the two week period, her eyes are clear an not runny. The Herpies Virus is the one that gives all these URI symptoms and abt all you can do for that is support the immune system so they can fight if off themselves. Your correct in saying they will be lifetime carriers an it will pop up during illness or stress throughout their lives. Can be contagious while in the 'active' stage especially to another cat in the household whose immune system is low. My Nemo must have been a carrier all his life and it's only shown symptoms this last year after he turned 11, my other 10 year old and the 1 year old kitten are symptom free...yes I have FOUR ..lol
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi Linda...I see you ARE giving kitty some canned food.  This is important not only for the water content (as you know), but because you can also mix this POWDERED Lysine right into the food with kitty non the wiser.  I would mix it in a tablespoon of food at the top of the pile of food to make sure Jade ate it.  

Like Opus, I ordered from iherb (actually, it was she who turned me on to it).  The distributor is Carlson Labs.  Here is what my order looked like...    

Carlson Labs, L-Lysine, Amino Acid Powder, 100 g   $6.43

The price may of gone up, as my last order was in 2013.  I gave this product to Jade for years with good success.  My girl had quite a few issues, so I gave it to her every day.  Giving the maintenance dose of 250mgs, 100grams lasted 8-9 months!  So well worth the money.  

COMMUNITY LEADER
Definitely ask your vet first though.  Don't want to make a bad situation worse.  
I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and see what he says.  It would be nice if it helped even a little, so maybe I could skip the steroid shot and just give him antibiotics occasionally,  and also so he wouldn't have the third eye problem again.  This is the first time he's had that, maybe I waited too long to take him to the vet this time, or his age is making a difference, I don't know. Thanks.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Your doing good, we always second guess ourselves...part of being a parent. The third eyelid is very often an indication of pain...
Called the vet and he said Lysine wouldn't help Ozzie, he finds it only helps for cats that have the herpes virus.  I was hoping he would say try it, at least we would have been using something to try to prevent the sinus problems instead of treating them after he got them.
That's disappointing that Ozzie can't have the Lysine.  Maybe a kitty multivitamin-chewable or gel would help strengthen his immune system.
I wonder how the vet knows if a cat has a herpes virus, or not?
COMMUNITY LEADER
http://icatcare.org/advice/cat-health/feline-herpes-virus-fhv-infection