Why not vasectomy?

I was wondering why don't the vets do a vasectomy on male cats rather than a castration? It's easier to perform, will allow the male to mate without impregnating the female , who won't be needing a spay accordingly,..and everyone is happy enjoying a natural life with no risk of overpopulation problem.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
some Vets will perform a vasectomy if the owner wishes to go that route....it is easier on the kitty, but other than not being able to reproduce he will still retain all the male instincts and spraying around the house could become a problem.....worth a thought none the less.

copied
"10e. Feline birth control method 5 - feline vasectomy.
If all you desire is that your male cat not be able to breed with any females inside of or outside of your home, then feline vasectomy is an option for you. Vasectomy is the surgical removalof a section of the male animal's vas deferens or spermatic duct (the tube that takes the sperm fromthe testicle where it is made, to the lower reproductive tract regions of the prostate and urethra).Without this section of piping, the sperm can not reach the animal's urethra and penis andthe animal, therefore, can not get anything impregnated.

Vasectomy is certainly effective at stopping breeding and the passing on of defectivegenes to any offspring. It will not, however, do anything for that male animal's behaviour or health. Because the testicles are left intact during vasectomy, the animalwill still have plenty of testosterone in its body. He will still be inclined towards showing unfavourable male-animal behaviours (roaming, aggression, dominance, territory marking, mounting and copulating with females etc.) and he will still be prone to developing a range of testosterone-mediated health problems.

Author's note: vasectomy is not instantaneous. A vasectomised cat will still be fertileand capable of impregnating queens for 7 weeks following the procedure. The vasectomised cat should be evaluated by a vet prior to the reintroduction of the cat to any females toensure that his semen contains no sperm (i.e. that the procedure has been effective). "
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the information. I have a male cat, Morsi and a female cat Kukla, both just above one year of age and they already have 4 kittens almost 3 months old whom I intend to keep. I had Kukla spayed a week ago when they started mating again, but it broke my heart to watch her suffer after the operation and I get the feeling she hates me now..she hides under the bed when she sees me. She used to sleep in my lap and purr before the operation..not any more. I will have Morsi neutered soon enough before the kittens (3 females and one male) are old enough to mate.I plan to neuter little Tyson too at 6 months, but as for the females, I prefer to endure their heat cycles than to watch them go through this spaying operation and the horrible postoperative period with all the injections and worrying. I wish vets in my country (Egypt) performed vasectomy but they don't...I don't mind the male instincts and believe spraying would be minimal or absent in the presence of a female cat. In any case thanks so much for your reply.
Helpful - 0
Without having males AND females fixed both are more prone to develop reproductive system caners.  The females are at risk for developing breast cancer and other reproductive cancers, which are very very common.  The males are prone to testicular cancer.

There's plenty of information on the internet.  Go check it out and make an educated decision before you decide against getting your cats fixed.
Helpful - 0
Thank you, I would definitely research the issue before any decision.
Helpful - 0
The pee of an entire male cat is much, much more noxious in smell than the pee of a neutered cat.  If you have an indoor kitty who uses the cat box, be prepared for your whole house to reek, and probably for him to start some spraying too.  

We had a vasectomy for a dog one time, but I wouldn't do it for a cat.  My neutered boys are such nice boys, and entire males think about only one thing, catting around.
Helpful - 0
I suppose you are right, my Morsi who is an indoor entire male chases my poor Kukla all the time even after she has been spayed. I will have him neutered soon, I suppose this will stop the howling at night too.
Helpful - 0
Unrequited lust does make the male miserable.  
Helpful - 0
Vets are not taught to vasectomize in vet school.  They assume most people want a cat who does not spray or call for mates.
I have a vasectomized cat.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Cats Community