help before I kill an animal!!!

My husband had a cat before we got together and she was awesome we've been together for a few years now and have had 3 dogs around the whole time and have lived where we do for over a year so no big changes at all. All of a sudden his cat is peeing on everything and refusing to use her litter box! He cleans it out every night and she has fresh food and water at her disposal we haven't moved her stuff around at all what the **** can I do before this cat ruins my house and starts to ruin my newborns things once he gets here I'm afraid it's gonna go on his toys and things! ! I really don't know what else to do
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It sounds like you need to have a talk with your husband about his cat doing this. Tell him how you feel but be gentle about it so he doesnt get defensive. But if the cat continues to do this you need to seriously think about making it an outside cat or getting rid of it.
Helpful - 0
Your cat may have a bladder infection. A simple vet check may be your cure.
Helpful - 0
It sounds like your cat is sick. Take it to the vet.
Helpful - 0
I've Tlked to my husband and he isn't defensive but doesn't want to get rid of her and where her stuff is we put it in the laundry room because we can shut the door so it keeps odor contains ed and has been in the same room same place for over 1 year and a half. And to contain the odor of course we close thw door. She won't use it now unless we leave the door open but then we have cat odor trough upstairs so it defeats the purpose of having it in the laundry room with a cat door. Again she has been using it door closed going through cat door for over a year no probkem..... so why now
Helpful - 0
Your cat is either sick or senses that there's is a change approaching aka baby. Get a different litter that might help I used fresh step when I had my cats inside.
Helpful - 0
She sounds sick. How old is she? When cats near the end of their lives they tend to do this, not necessarily on purpose.
Helpful - 0
have a heart and instead of wanting to just kill him or get rid of him take him to the vet. If you know she wasnt like that before obviously she might be sick or something.. I hope your husband has better feelings than you and does take his cat to the vet..
Helpful - 0
Is she fixed? How old is she?
Helpful - 0
Have you tried putting in somwwhere where she or he feels comfortable to use and I used to put my cat in the litter tray and she would tell me she needed a toilet i miss having her my cat died in october but I hope you work it out
Helpful - 0
The cat is still fairly young and isn't sick. For all you haters on here I'm not going to kill her I never would harm an animal it was a figure of speech
Helpful - 0
My cats do this too when they start to sense the baby coming. They did it with my first and are going it again. All 3. They are acting out and marking territory even though they are desexed. It will calm down after baby comes.
Helpful - 0
I had two indoor cats that I was crazy about for my last pregnancy. Something inside of me snapped when I was pregnant for my son and I suddenly couldn't stand them anymore! It was crazy! I found a great home for one of them. And the other one I started letting her go outside and eventually she started staying outside more and more. She's a happy healthy cat. So it all worked out. Hope y'all can figure it out!
Helpful - 0
Actually, my cat is outside so often I don't even have a liter box in my house anymore. She quit using it. She comes inside when she wants to warm up and wants some attention (which my 1 1/2 year old will give her more than she wants of that. Lol) then she goes right back out.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
While your kitty Could be acting out due to your pregnancy, it could just as easily be a UTI which is very painful.  There is absolutely no way of knowing if she is sick or not without a urine test done by your vet.  Being 'young' has nothing to do with it.  Young cats get UTI's, too.  So please take her in just to be safe, as peeing outside the box is a classic sign.    
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oops, that last post was meant for you, not Erin...  
Helpful - 0
I think your cat has a UTI or a bladder infection.  A cat with a urinary tract infection will not *look* sick to his owner, the only way we know is if the cat starts to pee in odd places.  UTI and bladder infection are both announced by the cat by peeing all over.
Helpful - 0
Spraying is either a medical issue or a behavior manifestation of insecurity.

I would do two things:

1) take the cat to the vet because cats have an amazing ability to hide their pain and you have no idea if the cat is sick or in pain unless she is checked out by a vet.  You can't look at your cat and know if there is a UTI or some other issue going on.  It's in her best interest (and yours) to see a vet.

2) help your cat remain calm about the upcoming addition to the family.  You can do this by providing one-on-one attention to your cat twice a day.  This could mean taking 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at night (or any time frame that works for you) and play with her using feather toys, laser chaser, etc and give her attention and affection for that time frame.  

This will take time but if you do this each day it can really help calm your cat and make her feel more secure.  You can also try the calming sprays and see if they help.

Good luck!
Helpful - 0
I really think you cat has a UTI. Mine had one and I had no idea, she seemed perfectly fine aside from peeing where she wasn't supposed to. I didn't know she had one until she suddenly stopped eating. Please take her to the vet, just to be sure. Even if she doesn't have a UTI he could likely tell you what the problem is.
Helpful - 0
Listen to the girls with long experience on cats - they do know about sick cats  and/or the ones with behaviour problems!!!
Helpful - 0
Please get your cat to the vet.  She is telling you something is wrong.  UTI's and or social anxiety can cause this.  Let us know what you find out~
Helpful - 0
Hi MRsDMC,

WoW! did you get a BIG response!!! Just mention wanting  (or thinking  about wanting) to kill an animal on this forum will get you noticed for sure.

Not haters just deeply love and care about animals especially our Kits.

Cats are fastidious creatures and when they start acting out by urinating in inappropriate places you can bet they are trying to tell their owners SOMETHING is very wrong! Probably a Urinary Tract Infection . Although with a new baby on the way cats will sometime become more territorial. I vote for the UTI......and NO....you cannot say "Your cat is not sick" they are masters at hiding their pain. Rest assured once you see the Vet all will be cleared up.

Congratulations also on becoming a MOM. This is a good time to read up on how to bring baby and cat to mutually respect each other. Of course you will always be with baby when kit is visiting. New baby's and kits can get into a lot of trouble before they are taught the proper way to play with each other.

As I said we love our cats and now yours is one we will worry about, so please let us know what the vet says ....not being nose, just caring.
Any other questions you may have, please feel free to post . We will always do our best to help you through our own experiences.

Sincerely,
CML
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Cats Community