Cats Community

my cat lost weight drastic

i noticed a few days ago that my cat wasnt eating, i looked at a pic just over a week ago that i took of him, and he was fine, but this started a few days ago, they gave me antibiotics to try, and it didnt seem to be working, the vet said if he hasnt responded in 3 days of being on them then bring him in, i took him to the vet today and they have him on an iv, but what can cause such a drastic weight loss and him staggering and not eating or drinking very much, he did not have diarrhea and he is not vomiting, the vet said his temp was below normal, and she is doing a bunch of blood tests on him, he is 6 years old and is a domestic short hair.
I'm sorry your kitty is losing so much weight.  The bloodwork should tell you something.  Did your Vet test kitty for feline diabetes?  The staggering and weakness is a concern.  He is still so very young.  Can you try some Gerber Stage 2 chicken baby food or some wet canned food and feed it to him just to get some food into him.  Let's see what others have to say.  I wonder about getting him to an ER if he keeps getting worse.
P.S.  Oh I see on your post that kitty is at the Vet's getting IV's, so excuse my comment about the ER.
thanks maddie6, i hope he is ok, i was looking at pics i took of him a week ago and he was fine, he drastically lost weight so quick, he wont eat he was drinking a lil bit of water, if he was ill like bad there would of been more signs, cause i check on my animals lots and i just noticed this a few days ago, my roommate locked him out of the house on a rainy day which he didnt mean to do, my cats are indoor cats, and he was out there for a couple hours so i dont no if that has something to do with it, do u think that could have something to do with it?
Hi Reassurance,
Gosh I don't know if it could have something to do with his being outside for a couple hours.   Are there other outdoor cats that may have picked a fight with kitty?   Does he have his vaccinations?  His bloodwork results should be in by tomorrow?  Would you be able to visit him if the Vet is keeping him overnight?     Sorry for so many questions.  I'll say a prayer; it's good the Vet is doing more tests and having him on fluids.
yeah they are keeping him over night, the blood work results will be in tomorrow, i have went n see him and he seems more responsive, he responded to his name, and i have a key chain on my car keys and i put it to his face to see if he would follow it, and he followed it, this just came on a few days, so i think what ever it is we may have caught it in time, and im not losing hope, thanks for the prayers, buster is just one of my cats, but i love him dearly, i have 3 cats, and im just hoping all goes well, and my vet is letting me do payment arrangements, because it might cost alot depending on what it is, but if he is anything like me he is a fighter and im putting out as much positive as i can.
I'm so glad you went to see Buster, and he is responding to you.  That all sounds positive, and it sounds like your Vet is taking good care of him.  Being it was also caught early is good, too.  You saw he wasn't right and got him medical care right away.  That's great your Vet is allowing payment arrangements, too.  Buster is young and strong.  I know how much you must love him.  I have one cat (Maggie) and she's in diabetic remission, but I always have to watch for symptoms returning and other side effects.  Keep us posted when you get the blood results.  Take care.
thanks you dont no how much that means to me, that have support, he is one of my babies, and i find myself thinking he is at home, he had this thing where if you opened a door he would try and dash thru it, so i find myself still watching the doors when i open them, as if he is going to dash thru, but i have faith that he will pull thru, the fact that he is young is a good thing, and that it only went on for a few days, she didnt want to give me false hope, but if they thought there wasnt any hope they wouldnt be treating him or testing, they would just of told me to put him down, so there must be some hope right? i have 3 cats 2 dogs and 2 rats, i love my animals so much, and they arent just animals they are my family, you see them everyday and you get to know their characteristics, and you get used to them, and when their not there you feel lost.
I had a cat that also used to dash for the door, and he would want me to chase him down the walkway.  He would never actually run away but just play this little game with me.  That is quite a furbaby family, and I'm sure they will be happy to see Buster back home soon.  I hope you hear something soon from the Vet.  It's the waiting that is hard.  Yes, there sure is hope, especially seeing how much the Vet is doing to get a diagnosis.  Hang in there, and we're all hoping for some good news today for Buster.  Take care.
well i just spoke to the vet ***. and she told me that he seems more responsive and things seem much brighter today. they told me that the iv seems to be working, because they came in today and he is in much brighter spirits, and that he is more attentive. so yea im hoping for the best, still waiting on the test results tho, so lets keep our fingers crossed that everything is ok, I told them to do everything they can to get him better, no matter the cost, im not rich but im rich in love and i will love him better.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there, I'm following Buster's story and I'm glad to see there's some improvement today.  That's very encouraging.  I'll be waiting for your update and hoping the tests reveal what's up with your sweet Buster.

Hang in there, reassurance1!
Ditto!!  It does sound very encouraging, and Buster is in the best place with your Vet taking care of him.  We'll be waiting for an update.  Take care.
well the blood work showed that he is mild anemic and has mild kidney failure, they arent ruling out hope they said, they said they had many animals that have come in and had this happen and bounced back, they just have to be on a special diet, they put him on a new iv with higher levels of potassium, dont no what thats suppose to do, he is staying in over the weekend forsure, but they told me not to lose hope, she agreed that if there wasnt a chance then she would of suggested me to put him down, but she said she hasnt because he is showing some sort of improvement, i cried so hard, i just want him home with me, i know that sounds selfish but he is one of my babies and i am so attached to him, does anyone on here knows anything about what im talking about, they showed me a bunch of numbers from his test but i cant remember what they all meant, but they said they arent asking me to put him down because they told me there is hope, so please pray for buster, and anyone with some knowledge on this please respond i need some hope, i suffer from anxiety disorder so this is making it very hard for me.