Cats Community

pancreatitis?

My cat was DX w pancreatitius & met all symptoms for a few weeks / the meds worked but it got bad. Then a big turn happened. He started eating & now won't stop! His constant meowing is driving me crazy.he lost weight whwhen really sick. He is still underweight but why does he demand food 24/7? I'm so stressed out I can't think straight. Upset too if his DX was wrong we spent so much $$ on labs/meds. Now I'm not sure/don't think he has it! Help. Thanks
Cheryl
Hi Chery,

Well one of the main functions of the Pancreas is to make insulin for sugar metabolism. Without insulin the body cannot utilize sugar. Sooo If I were you I would have the little one tested for sugar in the urine which is called Glycosuria. If it is positive he may have diabetes.

In the early stages of diabetes a cat will try and compensate for the inability to utilize blood sugar by eating more FOOD!

This may be what is happening now since the pancreas has been compromised. I would check with your vet to be sure this is addressed, K?

....and if you think I just know this off the top of my head, ooh NOOOO!

I have a wonderful reference guide that makes me sound brilliant, LOL!

Please keep us posted if you will.

The best to you both,
CML
Hi Cheryl,

Just checking in. What is the latest! Hope you have some answers.

Sincerely,
CML

Hi Cheryl,

I agree with CML's suggestions. Our cat, Sammy, was diagnosed with diabetes more than 2 years ago through a blood test. When he was diagnosed, he had lost quite a lot of weight and the vet couldn't understand why Sammy was losing so much weight. I would definitely bring your cat back to your vet and ask for a blood test. You could also ask for a fructosamine test to see how much sugar is in your cat's blood. I wish you and you cat well. I would get your kitty to his vet asap.   Eve