Cats Community

post-radioactive iodine tx home care program for cat?

MY question to forum members out there is if any of you had a cat that you had to take care of and monitor for 1 month post radioactive iodine treatment- how difficult was it to comply with state or provincial regulations with regards to litter separation if you have more than 1 cat- sleeping isolation if your cat is used to sharing your bed- and minimizing human contact etc......Please share your expereiences and tips -good or bad as we are close to committing to this procedure for our 12 year old siamese cat and would like to know what we are in for -post operatively- and/or clinically?

Also want to know if any users have had successful experience with any alternative remedies for feline hyperthyroidism with their cats as an alternative to either tapazole or radioactive iodine tx?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Thankfully,

Pisces59(Siamese cat lover)
COMMUNITY LEADER
hi Pisces and welcome to our cat community...we are all cat lovers here too.
So sorry for the huge decision you are facing with kitty, I hope there is someone on here that has also gone thru the experience and can help you.
I really don't have any info that would be of much use to you. I will give you a great website that I found with info and hope it somewhat helps.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/thyroid__treatment_options.html

I don't know what state you are located in? this article says only need to isolate for 3-7 days(hospitalization)..so i'm assuming contact after that time is safe? I would take extra precautions of course if you happen to be pregnant.

I did a small amount of other reading and it sounds like Trapazole is the drug of choice. I also read somewhere(?) that iodine therapy plus medication has 2x the survival rate of just the drug alone.

12 yrs old is still relatively young he/she could have many good healthy years with you yet.
If you are concerned about the iodine therapy why don't you just go with the Trapazole tx and do a wait and see if the next step is warranted??

I wish you tons of success with your decision and possible future treatment(s). We love our pets and want to do all we can for them(within our means), I commend you on researching all your options and knowing whats involved. I hope you can find someone who can help you more with this.

another avenue to try is do a search in the white box on top of this page.
(search conditions, treatments and symptoms) type in hyperthyroidism and see if it brings up any older member posts??

good luck, please keep us updated and feel free to drop back in anytime if you have suggestions, comments, any questions....or just a shoulder to cry on too.

♥Opus
I haven't had experience with post radioactive iodine treatment, but I have had a lot of experience with isolating and quarantining multiple cats for multiple reasons both at home and at the shelter where I work as a volunteer.  We recently had a general quarantine involving 100s of cat's because of a panleukopenia outbreak.  I've also fostered multiple kittens from multiple kittens at home and have had to isolate them for multiple reasons as diverse as URI and ringworm.  

The most difficult and time consuming part is the initial set up and cleaning required.  Cats can have some  initial difficulty with change in routine, but most adapt after a few days.  You may see some initial behavioral changes, depression, and drop in appetite initially.  We have had lots of older cats at the shelter for long periods whose only human contact is daily feeding and cleaning of their kennels.  Most of the older cats are owner surrenders, so they are cats that have spent years as a house pet with lots of human contact.  It is far from ideal, but they adapt and survive and adjust to their new situation.
Sorry, meant to type "...multiple kittens from multiple litters..."
Thank you for your concern and information which you passed on ... I reside in Ontario, Canada...The isolation rules point to a total of 4 weeks of quarantine for post-thyroid iodinectomy.....

Do you know anyone who has used alternative therapy instead of Tapazole or Iodine treatment.  I am not convinced that our cat needs the iodine as he seems over-all his old self- and relatively comfortable apart from his constant , ravenous apetite and loud meowing.  We have always been accustomed to same behaviour since he was a kitten in our home.  Not sure I buy the clinic judgement of our vet(whom I respect dearly) - that the heart is being severely stressed as a result of the hyperthyroidism.

Kind of a t a cross-roads with regards to choices to make here!!

Also- just found out that our other siamese cat- a 13 year old female, has signs of renal failure as shown by her geriatric profile blood work panel.  Any thoughts of any alternatives or therapeutics to help curtail the process of renal failure as opposed to watching her waste away and trying to make her comfortable in the process.

Appreciate yours and any other member insights into my predicament with my two precious cats( children).  We are pretty devastated right now- likke a double whammy hitting us at the same time.  And the two are such buddies!!!!!

Wow- what a hit to our family right now!!!

We have just admitted our 11 year old kitty for the radioiodine treatment this morning. I have done a lot of research on post-treatment care and have read varying things. This is the advice our vet gave us:

Our vet will quarantine her for between 5 and 10 days, until the radioactive levels are below the legally required limit. Then she will be released to us to take home.

We were told to limit contact with her for the following 2-3 days and to use gloves when empying the litter tray. We were also told to use flushable litter at this time. We were advised not to have her sleep with us and to limit our cuddle time with her to 10 mins at a time, washing our hands afterwards.

After the 2-3 days, we can resume our normal routine. This is only the case because there are no children in our home and I am not either pregnant or trying to get pregnant. If this were the case we would need to follow the above advice for 2 weeks.

We have another cat who shares our hyperthyroid kitty's litter tray, and we have been told by our vet that this isn't a problem. Our kitty can interact with her sister immediately after being released without putting our other cat at risk.

We were also told that the amount of radiation emitted by the cat once discharged from the vet is extremely low - no different for a human than sitting on a long-haul flight.

I hope that helps. Good luck with the treatment. We have been medicating our cat for 2.5 years at great expense, thanks to the regular blood tests needed to check her T4 levels. Radioiodine treatment is the gold standard for treating hyperthyroidism with a 95% success rate of a complete cure. I can't wait to have a healthy and happy cat again.
Hi torilou01. I am picking up a kitty tomorrow from her radioactive iodine treatment and have two other cats at home. How did it go with your kitty post treatment at home for the first few weeks? I know the radioactivity is not supposed to be a big issue but I'm still nervous and also wondering how the other cats will react to her coming back. Any insights that you have would be greatly appreciated!