Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cats Community
4.01k Members

skin problem

My cat has big scabby patches all over his back and sides.  What is it and can I treat it at home.  A vet trip is impossible with the money situation but something needs to be done it looks horrible, but it does not seem to bother him.
9 Responses
228686 tn?1211558307
Try picking up an athlete's foot cream and using it twice daily for two weeks. It's probably ringworm and he active ingredient is the same for people/cats.
Thank you so much I'll get it right away.
i have a question.  i have an apple head siamese he has been really scratting lately.  and it is causing scabs on his back.  do you know anything we can put on him.  
228686 tn?1211558307
This could be;

1: Fleas. Try a hartz or frontline back of the neck drops. Depending on your cat's coloration they aren't always easy to spot.

2: ringworm. The above cream applied to the scabby area would clear it up. Ringworm presents as flaky scabs at it's worst.

3: dry skin. An irritating problem. Try a daub of some form if infant/child skin softener/moisturizer that's safe for ingestion.

4:Is the fur in the region brittle/breaks easily? If so, it could be a genetic disposition that's not uncommon. It's not easily treatable that I'm aware of, but #3 will help alleviate the dryness and itching.

there are other things it could be, but an in person vet visit would be best to check him out if none of the above helps. I listed them in order of which should be done first. Give it a day after applying the flea drops before trying the ringworm cream.
228686 tn?1211558307
BTW, some cats are allergic to flea bites, so getting an over reaction like this isn't unusual.
yeah i forgot to tell you that it didnt happen until we put frontline on him.  we really didnt see flees .  we saw 2 or 3.  and put that stuff and that is when he got like this.  it doesnt bother him at all.  we have been giving him a bath and that seems to help.  thanks for everything
228686 tn?1211558307
no prob. it could be a poison sensitivity. Or...you use that stuff, and the fleas run about like crazy for a while, which is fairly intense for the cat! :)
I have several cats with the same scabby sores.  It doesn't appear to be ring worm, as the sores are all shapes & sizes.  It started on one cat and spread to two others.  Not all the cats have it.  Could it be something else?  The scabs are huge!
228686 tn?1211558307
If it isn't ringworm (not responding to ringworm treatment), there's a good chance it is mange. The easiest treatment is a one time shot from the vet.
Have an Answer?
Top Cats Answerers
874521 tn?1424120397
Canada..., SK
506791 tn?1439846583
Saint Mary's County, MD
242912 tn?1402547092
CA
740516 tn?1360946086
Brazil
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Ooh and aah your way through these too-cute photos of MedHelp members' best friends
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child