Celiac Disease Community
882 Members

Could this be gluten related - twitches, tightness, pain?

I'm a 31 male. All this for me started Oct 1st, it first started with a twitching (not tremor) right index finger, which stop after a couple of days but then my right hand started to become tight and painful, sometimes it was as if I could feel the nerve in my right ring finger (rubber band feeling), that spread into my forearm which begun to hurt, eventually my bicep, and then my upper arm and finally my shoulder and into the right side of my neck started to feel tight and painful.

Currently, the pain has remained in my shoulder and my neck but the rest of my arm doesn't feel as bad as it used to, oddly enough, my right hip decided to join the fun and is now hurting, like a soreness which seems to fluctuate from my groin area to the outside of my hip, sometimes it feels like a pressure, like an air pocket, other times it's painful. It doesn't seem to matter what position I"m in or what I"m doing, the pain is always there. Odd thing is, this is mainly just my RIGHT side, I'll have the occasional pain on my left side or a muscle twitch here and there, but it's mostly my RIGHT side that's affected.

Sometimes I have facial numbness in certain areas that seem to pass quickly and twitches in other parts of my body, fairly infrequent now but still happens daily. When all this started I immediately saw a doctor which led to a neurologist and a rheutomologist visit, I've gotten a slew of blood work done and a brain and cervical MRI, everything basically came back okay.

When all this started I was feverishly searching the internet for my symptoms and I kept getting pointed to Parkinson's so I thought I would throw this out there and see what you guys think. I started being gluten free Jan 1st of this year, so it still may be too soon to tell if there will be any benefits to my symptoms, I'll try ANYTHING at this point!

I've gone from telling myself it's not serious to thinking it is to thinking it's not, I'm sick of being in pain daily and not know why, any help would be very much appreciated! All the doctors can't seem to find anything. I don't know what to do anymore.
You've had blood work and MRIs done that came out negative.  If you still have symptoms, returning to your doctor might be worth it if he/she has other options to follow up with, or even going to someone else for a second opinion.  Going gluten-free is unnecessary unless you've been tested and found to have celiac disease.  In fact, going gluten-free may lead to more problems because gluten is found in good wholesome foods, and if you avoid those, you may be depriving yourself of proper nutrients, unless of course you do have celiac disease.    
"When all this started I was feverishly searching the internet for my symptoms and I kept getting pointed to Parkinson's so I thought I would throw this out there and see what you guys think. I started being gluten free Jan 1st of this year, so it still may be too soon to tell if there will be any benefits to my symptoms, I'll try ANYTHING at this point! ",
I WENT TO same conclusion you did. You might want to test if you have gluten allergy, intolerance or celiacs disease, only a blood test or biopsy can confirm this.

Is the twitching worst at night, and when your sleeping, do you have pins and needle feeling, like your body is waking up from being numb, this can be RESTLESS leg syndrome, ironically its a symptom of celiacs, since celiacs can cause neuropathies(nerve issues) and neurological issues.

FUNNY THING i also have the same thing you have, with the exception of loss of smell.
Also you should do a full metabolic panel, liver function, thyroid function, glucose in case of DIABETES, Also reccommend blood test for celiacs or other autoimmune diseases, because all of these can cause the symptoms you have. Also You should ask to be tested for any deficiencies as well, or anemia.
The above poster is right, going gluten free can delay a celiacs diagnosis, and make your symptom worst. Since i had the same symptoms as you do, i sympathesize, i too went feverishly and scoured the internet and it kept pointing to parkison, MS, some autoimmune disease, Even lyme disease, because these can cause all the symptoms you mentioned, plus smell and taste dysfunction.
Thanks for the feedback!

I did a food allergy blood test and it turns out I'm allergic to wheat, corn, soy, and peanuts, but only "moderately", but regardless, I'll be cutting those out of my diet to see if it does anything, apparently I'm all good with diary.

I'm still gluten free, I'm basically following the paleo diet as well as the specific carbohydrate diet.

I've noticed that my symptoms seem to get much worse with exercise so for now I've mainly been sticking to walking, I'm only 31 yet I feel like I'm 61. Saw another neuro last week, still doesn't think anything "major" is going on and really doesn't think it's PD (my biggest fear right now).

I'm getting more and more symptoms on my LEFT side now for whatever that's worth, tonight for instance, for about 30 seconds my LEFT calf started vibrating/shaking, walking, sitting, it didn't matter, it kept going until it was done. I've also been getting some burning pains in my forearms, mainly my RIGHT, but also my LEFT, just to a lesser extent.

My sleep as gone to crap these past months so maybe there is a connection there. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on, this is a never ending nightmare.

PMDER1 - you ever figure it out? Have you seen a neurologist yet? Anything help? How long have your symptoms been happening? and how did they start?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem