Celiac Disease Community
877 Members

Easing symptoms of low ferritin due to celiac

Hi Everybody,

I am 18 years old and was diagnosed with celiac disease roughly 1 month ago.
Due to the celiac, which was undiagnosed for quite some time, causing malabsorption my serum ferritin dropped to a level of less than 1. Since then I have completed the two IV iron infusions my doctor prescribed; he told me that oral supplements would do me o good at this point. While I have been exhausted and generally ill feeling for quite a while, my symptoms have gotten increasingly worse within the last 2 weeks or so. What was me feeling tired, has turned into extreme exhaustion and shakiness all the time. On the weekends I can sleep nearly 20 hours a day and some days barely get out of bed. Also, I cannot get through the day without naps, I have affectionately called them "involuntary naps" because when I get home from class, it is enough for me to sit down in a chair to fall asleep for 3-4 hours. I am a freshman in college, so this is becoming more and more of a problem as I have no attention span and am so foggy that it takes me ages to wrap my head around simple things I could do without a problem several months ago.

I'm wondering how long it usually takes for IV iron to start kicking in and if you have any tips for maintaining energy levels with low ferritin.

All help is greatly appreciated,
Julia
I have a similar issue, undiagnosed at this time. Try keeping peanut m&ms around. For me it stops the shakes and eases the fog. But be careful it covers the symptoms well so you need to monitor your health asuch as possible. The chocolate has iron and sugar, digests quick, the peanuts digest slow, releasing more iron and sugar, proteins and ect.

It works well enough that I have survived being homeless and the improper diet for two yrs. And keep an eye out for other things that help. But you need quick and sustaining sustanance. Not just one or the other
It's not a good idea to eat junk food when you have Celiac's.  Dyes, preservatives & thickeners have hidden wheat products. Not to mention it takes 6 months or more gluten-free for your digestive tract to heal well enough to absorb nutrients properly. My daughter is almost 19, diagnosed in Oct, still sleeps a lot! When she returned to high school in January she was asleep by 7. She's not a big veggie eater, so she sticks to apples & bananas thru the day to keep her blood sugar up. Fluctuations tire her faster.
Watch out for stuff with gluten free ingredients but doesn't say it's gf. It needs to say it or you risk getting sick from cross-contamination. She just missed 2 days cause she ate oatmeal, a gluten-free food.
Until you have been diagnosed AND have seen a dietician for a few months, THEN offer your opinion!
Call your local food bank and every church pantry you can to find healthy food for Celiac's. We found only one church that could help, but they were a life-saver!
Try to see a dietician if you can. Contact food service at your school for options. If my daughter's small rural school has gf food, maybe your school does too! Ryan's nurse, counselor & principal KNEW she had Celiac's but never mentioned the gf options in cafeteria, found out when Ryan asked if hot dogs were gf. They weren't.  Call your local food bank and every church pantry you can to find healthy food for Celiac's. We found only one church that could help, but they were a life-saver!
Send me a private message, will put you in contact with her.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem