Celiac Disease Community
881 Members

How can you tell the difference between celiac disease and gluten sensitivity?

Gluten free is all the rage. Sigh.  But how do you tell the difference between gluten sensitivity and celiac?  And how do you diagnose gluten sensitivity?
I went to a alternative doctor, who did a bloodtest and it came back that I was Gluten intolerant. I think, by eliminating gluten for a month or two and then re-introducing, you can tell if you have a big reaction or not. Is it's celiac disease I think you will even react to spores of gluten, so I would try that first.

Does it really matter if it's coeliac disease or sensitivity? If you really want to know, you have to get a gut-biopt but then I think you have to be eating gluten regularly. And even then the tests can come back negative, while you might feel better without the gluten.

I do feel a lot better if I don't eat gluten (and sugar and milk products too actually). I once had a day that I really didn't care, well, let me say that the toilet and I got very good friends that day... Spores of gluten I think I can handle, but perhaps my body thinks differently. Maybe I don't recognise the symptoms as symptoms, because I have eaten gluten for about 39 years, just started 2 years ago eating glutenfree.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem