Celiac Disease Community
885 Members

How effective is DH skin biopsyafter being gluten free for a year?

I've been gluten free for a year now and my gastro wants to wait for the endocopy until I'm eligible for the colonoscopy when I turn 50 later this year. I don't think she believes I have celiac, even though I tested positive for one of the genes associated with celiac and my primary has diagnosed me as having celiac. The gluten sensitivity blood tests came back negative, of course, since I was gluten free for 9 months at that time. Why is she waiting?

At any rate, My digestive system has improved greatly, but when I reintroduced non fat Greek yogurt in my diet, the plaques psoriasis returned on my elbows. My primary believes it is dermatitis herpetiformis (as well as I, since before going gluten free, I used to get boils in my armpits) and I'm scheduled for a skin biopsy in 3 weeks. However, I eliminated dairy from my diet 4 weeks ago and the plaques psoriasis is healing like it did when I eliminated gluten from my diet a year ago. If the scar is reduced to eczema, does that mean there still are IGA deposits in my skin?

I don't want to resume dairy since I experienced a cross reaction to the casein in cheese and found lactose was on that same list. So my question is, how long do the granular IGA deposits remain in the skin in order to have a valid skin biopsy test performed for dermatitis herpetiformis?

Since it takes 1-2 years for dermatitis herpetiformis heal on a gluten free diet and I just had a recent flare up, can I continue on my dairy free diet or should I resume eating non fat Greek yogurt for the next 3 weeks just for this skin biopsy?
No, I would not! Just for the possibility of getting a positive
biopsy result, in light of the very long healing time? Hmm.
It seems that you are sensitive to dairy, the same as gluten, which is common with gluten-sensitive patients.
(about 50% of gluten-sensitive are also sensitive to dairy).
There are more factors present in dermatitis herpetiformis than just the granular IgA deposits.
As a matter of fact,  increased serum IgA is not necessary for pathogenesis of DH

From a recent study of interest to you, regarding treatment.
---Immunotherapeutic Application of Nigella sativa Oil in Management of Dermatitis Herpetiformis Associated with Refractory Coeliac Disease ---
Treatment  by  Nigella Sativa  oil  with  GFD  in  treatment  of  DH  associated  with  refractory  CD effectively lead to complete clinical remission due to complete duodenal and skin histology remission in addition to absence of serological CD antibodies. To the best of our knowledge: the  results  emerging  from  this  study  may  substantially  provide  for  the  first  time  a  new  immunotherapeutic  application  of  NS  to  be  recommended  in  clinical  management  of  DH associated with CD. Since DH and CD are autoimmune diseases, our data may open a wide field to study the effect of NS on autoimmune diseases in general.
---Source: Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences (Impact Factor: 0.35). 10/2013; 4(3):1181-1186.--

I would do both oral and topical N.S. oil.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Niko

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem