Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
873 Members

My doctor diagnosed me with IBS and Celiac. Could it be something else?

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in May 2016 and have been following a strict diet since then. Some of the symptoms have been relieved with following the diet. For instance, I have gained 8 lbs back (out of the 25 lbs that I lost) and my stomach symptoms have become less severe.

However, I still have nausea on a daily basis and I still have episodes of an irritable bowel 2 or so days out of the week. I have gone to the doctor and got an EGD as well as multiple breath tests for a possible food intolerance. They haven't found any other problems in my stomach and are trying to label my persistent stomach issues as IBS. In addition to this, I have terrible migraines once or twice a week that the doctor has left unexplained.

I am concerned about this because I can sometimes pinpoint certain (gluten-free) foods that trigger the severe nausea I experience every day. For example, I get very nauseated after I eat my (former) daily breakfast of greek yogurt with honey. I also noticed an extreme feeling of sickness when I ate some baked kale chips I bought from the grocery store. It is obvious that these foods are causing me to be ill, but I cannot find a connection between them and Celiac. Does this sound familiar or common to anyone's experiences? I don't feel confident in my doctor's diagnoses of IBS and don't know why I am still so sick.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem