Cerebral Palsy Community
553 Members

Mild Incontinence / Cerebral Palsy Adult

I have mild CP and at age 30 I started having more problems due to aging.  I recently went from walking unaided to needing a device to stretch my leg muscles at night so I can prevent falls during the day.  About 6 months ago I started having a few wetting accidents in the evenings and thru the night.
I am 35 now and live independently and my doctor feels that I need to wear adult diapers probably for the remainder of my life during the night.  He said that my muscle weakness from the CP is now affecting my continence.  Is anybody else experiencing this?  Any way to improve this so I am not in need of the diapers?
Thanks for any thoughts, Stacey
Hi Stacey!
Well, actually cerebral palsy is a non-progressive disorder, that is, the lesions that cause cerebral palsy do not progress with time. If there is a worsening of symptoms, it is due to other associated lesions. So, ask your doctor if you need a MRI.
The reasons could be stress, functionally small bladder, diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, urinary bladder wall instability, UTI, stones and neurological problems.
Limit fluids in the evening. Set up an alarm your self and try and wake up 3-4 hours after sleep and use the washroom. Ask your doctors to look into these causes. Diabetes can also affect nerves and cause muscle related problems. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease