are there any adults here with mild CP?

I was born with mild CP. The spacicity was in my legs and with the help of braces and therapy, I was able to walk "normal".

I am now 38. I have always had almost no muscle on the left side of my body. If I was very tired, sometimed I would get a little limp,but that's all.

Now, I have been having neuropathy, and most recently spacicity in arms and legs that becomes quite  painful.

Sometimes, I notice my fingers and toes sticking together.

What I'm wondering is do any other adults with mild CP have these symptoms?

The dr's have no idea what is causing my issues.

Thank you for reading
I am a 54 year-old with Mild Cerebral Palsy & Asperger's Syndrome. In the last several years, my spasticity in my legs has gotten worse, & I went from being a good walker to needing to wear AFO's & using forearm crutches to aid my mobility. I am also now totally incontinent, both bladder & bowels. I also experience double vision. I am involuntarily retired on social security, & I used to be a Senior Electronics Engineering Tech working in the field of light industrial robotics.
I am 36 years old with mild cp.  In the last year the pain my back from my high muscle tone has gotten worse.  I tried chiropractic care but that failed because the chiropractor would not listen to me about my mild cp and tried to get me to take all types of supplements.  I am now doing physical therapy and that has helped.  I also just started going to a doctor of osteopathy and am hoping that helps.  Currently I have health insurance through my employer and was wondering if I could get better services through medicaid or my state run health care aid

Im 20 years old and was diagnosed with Mild CP when i was born. As a Young child i had to wear Braces on my legs and supportive footwear. I Have never really had many problems with CP But as im reaching Adulthood Im starting to notice it a lot more often.
I Suppose i want to know if i will be walking in 20 years time?
Hi All,

1 year ago my 3 year old child got diagnosed with mild CP.  

My child is mild, walks with a splint but I often wonder what it would be like living with CP as an adult for her.

I'm so glad I found this site.

I think it's wonderful that you can all share your experiences with each other.

I have a question to you all....
Have you ever heard of Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy? (SDR)?
Dr Park, St Louis, America.

I am considering it for my child as I do worry about her future.

If you were given the option would you have had the operation as a child?

The reason I ask is because you live with CP day in day out and you know how CP has affected you through life.

Many Thanks, All the bestq
Hi, I'm 33 years old. I was born with mild cp. I never had any surgeries that I remember of, but I do remember having to wear the leg braces and the special shoes when I was a kid. I don't have alot of memory of that time because i was so young. But my mom always told me about it when I was older.
  Anyway, now that I'm older I have started having bad pain in my lower back and its like the pain runs through my right leg. Sometimes the pain will go to my knee and stop other times its goes all the way to my foot. Also I sometimes feel as though my brain is foggy or tingly. I used to have seizures as a child and I don't know if I may be having seizures and not realize it. I have talked to my doctor about all this but its not helping me. Has anyone had any problems like this lately?
Hi MamiJ !
I am 21 , and I have mild CP . From what I know , I was adopted at 3 and a half and my adoptive mother did physical therapy with me on her own , she said I used to shake while walking , and my hands used to be twisted inwards and my right knee wouldn't straighten , it would always bend .

Anyway , now , no one even knows I have CP , mine doesn't show at all . I don't shake , my arms and hands look as normal as any human who doesn't have CP - the only issues I have is I have to keep telling myself to put my heel first otherwise I will automatically put my toes first . Anyone else have to do this ?

And my achillies is very stiff , so stretching my achillies always helps . Exercise ALWAYS helps loosen up my muscles and joins . Stretching is the best thing to possibly do . Patiently , but every day - will make a big difference in how you move the rest of the day . I am guilty of not exercising or stretching everyday - just when I can fit it in . But I do try to work out 3x a week .
And I reccommend anyone with CP to exercise or atleast stretch those legs as much as you can . Do it in the morning , and the rest of the day will be a bit easier .

Now , I've been reading some of these posts . And I was stunned to find out that as time has gone on , many of you have noticed a progression with your CP around the age of 50 ..

I was reading this article : http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Adoption_and_Foster_Care/About_Our_Children/Disabilities/cerebral_palsy.asp

And it states that CP doesn't progress . That , whatever damage was done as an infant , or in the womb stays and no further damage progresses .

Now if this is true , then that would mean that even at age 50 , it's not your CP that is worsening - it's something else .. Arthritus(sp?) ?

If we look at how people who don't have CP progress as they get older . They have arthritus , loss of balance , loss of motor skill , loss of coordination , flexibility ..
So, my only guess is either , not enough research has been done on CP , and it does 'progress' or get worse as age sets in , or that , its not that the CP itself progresses at all - but that our bodies and functions are slowing down just as they do in individuals without CP , so that's the exact same thing that happens to us , but that it also causes our CP to APPEAR worse , when it's not the CP itself that causes such loss in balance , motor skills , functioning , but it's just our bodies doing as everyone elses does and the CP makes it harder to cope with , just as CP makes the easiest movements for other people , challenging for us .
Hope that makes sense ?

I could see how CP wouldn't get worse - but that our muscles and functions get more tense , less flexible and worse as age goes on as most everyones body does with or without CP and our CP just adds to it , unfortunately . That's the only thing I can think of if it's true that CP doesn't progress as you get older .

I know I didn't help you very much MamiJ , but that is my experience on it . Does exercising help at all in any way for your CP ?

P.S. my toes will stick together or bend awkwardly when i get a stiff tension in my feet everyone once in a while , and I have to take my hands and actually unbend my toes and foot to stop the pain and to stop it from bending , and then I relax as best I can and it passes . I will notice this happen if I haven't exercised in a while , or notice it happen after I have had a vigorous exercise , but if I keep exercising regularly , it never happens ..

That's why I really think , for those with mild CP that exercise is one of the best 'medicines' for the CP .. It loosens the muscles and gets the tension and stiffness out .

Best wishes and I look up to all of you - CP is no fun ! But you're all doing the best you can and that's all that matters . And its unfortunate no one else knows what challenging the simplist things are , but how could they know ? unless they had CP too !

You are reading content posted in the Cerebral Palsy Community

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease