Cervical Cancer Community
437 Members

Do I need a second opinion? Only treatment is birth control pills for my symptoms?

I have had cramping and pms symptoms for two months.  No bleeding in between periods, but a clear discharge which is new to me and happens daily.  My period happens and then I think the pms is will finally be over and it's not.  
The next day I have cramps, pain, discharge, tender breasts, emotional, and back pain.  My doctor ordered me to have a vaginal ultrasound and the radiologist told me to see a gynecologist.  

I did, and the gynecologist was surprised they sent me and didn't see anything to be alarmed about.  I told her my symptoms (the cramps and back pain are the worst), she said that I had endometriosis and wanted me to take birth control pills, which I really DO NOT want to take.  If I didn't take them, then I would continue to have pain.  She told me that with endometriosis I should only have cramping during my cycle and she thought that it was strange that I had cramping and pain every day along with the discharge, that she did comment on.  So, I wondered if maybe it's not endometriosis?  Is there something else that I can ask about?  The exam that she did was VERY painful.  The findings from my ultra sound are as follows.  

-No abnormal endometrial thickening
-uterus is mildly heterogeneous and associated with an apparent small near isoechoic subserosal nodule along the left side of the fundus, measuring 1.6x.9x.9
-Left ovary has small anechoic thin walled cysts, larges 1.6 cm consistant with functioning ovarian follicles.
-Both ovaries intact blood flow.
-Endometrium 8.2 mm
-Uterus 8.8x4.8x5.9 with volume 124cc.
-Trace free pelvic fluid, no adnexal mass, tubo-ovarian abscess or hydrosalpinx.
-Right ovary 3.2x1.3x1.9
-Left ovary 4.2x2.6x3.1cm with an estimated volume of 18cc
-No free pelvic fluid

If all of this looks picture perfect and I really shouldn't have gone to a gynecologist, does anyone have any idea why I have all of these symptoms?  Could it really be endometriosis and the only option for me is birth control?  Thank you for your help.
HI,
Endometriosis is difficult t diagnose in the early stages unless it is directly seen on laparoscopy. Hence you can try the birth control pills can see whether you get relief. Other causes can be pelvic infection and pelvic congestion caused by conditions like the small fibroid you are having. Consult a gynaecologist.
Hope this helps.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize