Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
Avatar universal

HPV positive , negative intraeputhelial lesion

So my question is I have been HPV positive since 2016 when I first got diagnosed. I had been doing regular Paps since then. Have had both low grade and high grade lesions in the past. Finally got a LEEP done last year, pap was normal after follow up of 6 months. Now I did my 1 year follow up and  negative for any intraepithelial lesions but still positive for the HPV high grade. I’m glad the LEEP most certainly took care of the abnormal cells but worried as to why I am still positive for the virus. I’ve taken vitamins daily here and there, was pregnant and gave birth in 2018. So I’m thinking maybe that’s why I was not able to clear the virus as quickly. Secondly I’m older- 35 years. I know my GYN will now schedule for another colposcopy. Can anyone help with advice as to what I could do better to hopefully clear the virus!

Thanks  
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
15695260 tn?1549593113
Hello and welcome to the forum. Thanks so much for the question but sorry you are having to deal with this.  Yes, most people are able to clear the virus and we're sorry to hear you've been dealing with this and to this extent for so long!  For 90 percent of women, it normally will take under two years which means nothing to you since you are now outside of that time frame.  Some hpv strains of which there are many can linger for years unfortunately.  Having regular pap smears and being closely followed by your doctor is especially important given your history.  The things that help boost any immune system for any reason are important for you to do including making adjustments to your diet if you need to. In particular, a healthy balance of fruits and vegetables is important. Get plenty of rest and reduce stress if you can.  Try some immune boosting supplements like Folic acid, CoQ10, Vitamin C, N-Acetyl Cysteine, of course with your doctors approval.  

Here's some general information for our readers. https://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/hpv-genital-warts/hpv-treatment-is-there-hpv-cure#1  

We wish you the best.  Please stay in touch.
Helpful - 0
1 Comments
Thank you Sarah. I will continue to stay hopeful. I am on a keto diet which has really helped with my weight loss. I may have to stop it though since it has higher fat content to it with limited fruits. Appreciate the advice
207091 tn?1337709493
I'm sure you're frustrated. I would be. Remember, though, that 90% of us will get HPV at least once in our lifetimes, and of those, 90% of people will clear the virus within 2 years. That leaves 10% who don't. That means there are millions and millions of people who aren't clearing it within 2 years. Obviously, it sucks to be in the 10% who don't. It doesn't mean you won't ever, it just means it will take you longer.

It's great that you are being so diligent about your care, and getting your paps and colpos when needed.

There really isn't a lot you can do to help your body clear it. Make sure you are taking care of your body by getting enough sleep, exercising, and eating well - those are the best ways to keep you immune system functioning. Don't smoke, drink heavily, try to maintain a healthy weight for your height - all that happy stuff. It's classic for a reason.

Helpful - 0
1 Comments
Thank you so much . It feels reassuring to have a team to talk to.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Cervical Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.