Chiari Malformation Community

3 mo. post-op CT after decompression/craniocervical fusion

I finally had my 3 mo. post-op CT.  I knew that it had to be pretty amazing b/c the CT tech came out grinning saying, "Now THAT is impressive...there is a lot of hardware in there...I've never seen a fusion like that!"  Pretty amazing to think all that metal is holding my head on my spine!  I'm pretty sure I will set off every metal detector out there too :)

I got the results of my CT.....the fusion hasn't solidified yet.....so not sure if that is ok or if it's bad (I'm thinking it's not normal if he had me go now...and the PT has mentioned several times that he's sure it's well fused). There were also some comments about abnormal screw placements at c-2 so I'm a bit nervous now. Doesn't sound like things are totally ok. I will wait to see what Dr H says though.  Maybe he had to put the screws where he did. That is a tricky area since it's so close to the vertebral artery.  I've emailed his nurse and will send the CD with the actual films for him to review. I'm praying it's all ok and will just take more time to fuse.

Does anyone have any idea about this?
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi...that is an impressive CT scan....thanks for sharing it.

Those with EDS tend to be the ones that need fusions and we also take a bit longer to heal....fuse...so give it some more time....: )