Chiari Malformation Community

A few questions regarding Chiari

Hi! I'm 18 and I've not been diagnosed with CM, but I experience many of the "common" symptoms which makes me suspect that something is off. Ringing/pressure in ears, pressure/feeling faint when laughing (if I laugh alot I'll get a headache that lasts all day and my head feels like it's about to explode), tingling in one side of my face/thigh, suddenly feeling weak and dizzy. I remember reading an article on a woman with Chiari, who was told by her doctor that if she laughs too hard she may die? Is this really true? Or rapid movement of the head? I went to an ENT for my ears, he found nothing but he said my neck muscles were tight, so he gave me a number to a naprapathic doctor but I haven't seen him yet. My doctor doesn't think I need an MRI or CT scan... I don't know if she is familiar with Chiari, so I don't really want to walk into her office and demand a scan just because I "think" I have CM. What should I do?
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

We do have a thread discussing that article, it is a few yrs old and I really am concerned that it is not disclosing all that is going on with this woman or that her Drs were not Chiari specialist and were a bit over zealous with that statement...

Yes, some with Chiari have died, but also had other factors...which I feel may have been going on with the woman in the article...

I do not believe just laughing could kill someone with Chiari, but I do feel we need to be careful with our activities and in getting the best care.