Chiari Malformation Community

Decompression surgery

Hello All,
I will be having decompression brain surgery next month 22nd of August followed by tethered cord surgery. I am quite scared and was wondering if anyone has had these surgeries done by Dr.Dan Heffez.  Also, what to expect after the surgery, in the hospital as well as when I go home.  Do I have to do physical therapy? I'm really scared of the pain I'm going to be in.  Thank you for your time
Sincerely,
Joy35

COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi Joy...many have this fear prior to surgery...and it is normal...

Everyone will have a diff experience in the hospital and once they r home.....

As for PT that all depends on u and how well u heal and what symptoms u r having now, and if ur Dr feels it is warranted....

And for the pain, u know how u deal with pain now...when u get pain meds take them on time do not wait for the pain to start, keep ahead of it to keep it in check.....

Most of the members do have a journal in their profile page with info about their surgery experience....feel free to read them to get more insight.....I have mine posted...and I invite u to read it : )

"selma"