A
A
A
Close
Chiari Malformation Community
5.21k Members

Decompression surgery

Hello All,
I will be having decompression brain surgery next month 22nd of August followed by tethered cord surgery. I am quite scared and was wondering if anyone has had these surgeries done by Dr.Dan Heffez.  Also, what to expect after the surgery, in the hospital as well as when I go home.  Do I have to do physical therapy? I'm really scared of the pain I'm going to be in.  Thank you for your time
Sincerely,
Joy35

1 Responses
620923 tn?1452915648
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi Joy...many have this fear prior to surgery...and it is normal...

Everyone will have a diff experience in the hospital and once they r home.....

As for PT that all depends on u and how well u heal and what symptoms u r having now, and if ur Dr feels it is warranted....

And for the pain, u know how u deal with pain now...when u get pain meds take them on time do not wait for the pain to start, keep ahead of it to keep it in check.....

Most of the members do have a journal in their profile page with info about their surgery experience....feel free to read them to get more insight.....I have mine posted...and I invite u to read it : )

"selma"
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
987762 tn?1331027953
Australia
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease