Chiari Malformation Community

Decompression surgery

I have Chiari Malformation 1 @ 10mm.The decompression surgery  is to remove bone so that my cerebral tonsils will have room. My MRI shows most of my bone already gone. What will they put in place of the bone? Is there a mesh or something to hold the cerebral tonsils in place?
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I am not sure what bone is already gone, but they usually chip bone from C1 and C2....

Mesh is not widely used to hold the tonsils in place......and your Dr should have informed you as to how they do the procedure...as they all tend to have their own ways.....

Do you have  a CSF obstruction or any related conditions?

When is your surgery scheduled for?
Is this going to be your second surgery? What do you mean the bone is gone? I remember early on in my Chiari journey one report said I already had a decompression surgery but my skull was just very thin in that area.