Diagnosed with Chiari via brain scan. Do I need a cervical MRI?

My brain scan report says that I have a 6mm Chiari I malformation. Can a brain MRI see Syringomyelia or do I need a cervical MRI?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.,

Sometimes a brain MRI may indicate a syrinx, but u will need a cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine....as a syrinx can form in ne area of the spine....also in getting the lumbar spine that can help rule out tethered cord, as well as disk issues in ne area of the spine in doing each area.

And  a CINE MRI is also suggested to see if u have a CSF obstruction or overcrowding.....

Finding a true Chiari specialist is key.....so u have all related conditions ruled out.

May I ask what symptoms u presented with that u had the MRI?
Helpful - 0
I tested positive for Lyme disease in March and I've been on every different kind of antibiotic known to man and yet I don't seem to be getting better. My infectious disease doctor sent me for the brain scan to check for Multiple Sclerosis. I've already had a lumbar MRI which was normal other than adult scoliosis. My symptoms are all over the place. I have numbness, tingling, brain fog, vibrations, sore muscles, bone pain, neck pain and the worst headache imaginable. Most of my symptoms come and go but my body hurts constantly and I always have at least a mild headache.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER

It does sound like it could be Chiari, but then again, u could have Ehlers-Danlos, or low vit and minerals....as so many conditions can cause similar if not the same symptoms it can be frustrating until u get that DX.

I know MS,Lymes and Lupus are all ruled out once Chiari is found bcuz how similar the symptoms are and not many Drs feel Chiari can cause the symptoms we deal with so it must be something else....

Hang in there and get copies of all testing u have and have had so it is easier to get another opinion.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Chiari Malformation Community