Have you experienced this ear problem...

Patulous Eustachian tube - physical disorder where the Eustachian tube, which is normally closed, instead stays intermittently open. When this occurs, the patient experiences autophony, the hearing of self-generated sounds. These sounds, such as one's own breathing, voice, and heartbeat, vibrate directly onto the ear drum and can create a "bucket on the head" effect.

I am going insane.... I hear myself breathe and talk like I have a microphone hooked up to a speaker in my brain!!
I do not have sinus issues.... I never have. I do not have allergies...

I am 30 wks pregnant so I can't take any sort of medications. The only thing that helps for about 30 seconds is if I bend over and put my head completely upside down.... when I come back up my ear is normal but it shortly comes back.

I have been having this off and on for at least a month or two now.... it will last several days at a time. I used to have it when I was younger and played sports... but it would only show up randomly during a hard running session.

I am 26 and I have ehlers-danlos syndrom, but haven't been given official chiari dx... I have to be re-evaluated after birth of my baby. I have 2 mm herniation, very mild CSF blockage, and some overcrowding (went to TCI)

.... trying to figure out if this is just its own issue or connected to my other problems. It does seem to come about more when I am having a cycle of symptoms.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi...I had this happen but it was a random thing that happened a few times....I wonder what type of EDS u have.....

Even if u do not have sinus issue, chiari can cause u to have these issues..and I do have ear issues...last night I was up half the night from ear and facial pain.....

I also have constant buzzing in my ears....it stopped only for a short time post op, and then returned.

I too, have EDS, the hyper-mobility type.

"selma"
Helpful - 0
I am in Pottstown, very close to you. I am also 26 years old. I have a syrinx in my spine, severe neck head aches, numbness and a EUSTACHIAN TUBE DYSFUNCTION! That started when I was about 14, went away for a while then came back after my pregnancy. It has been a permanent issue for the last year or so. I am sure that it is related. My neurologist says I do not have chiari. She has no solution for my problems. I have been looking into a chiari/syringomyelia specialist and have not had much luck. Any suggestions? I can't take much more!
Good luck,
Gracie36
Helpful - 0
I, too, have ALWAYS had eustatian tube issues.  My tubes are dysfunctional, often staying open or alternating opening and closing.  Last year, I lost a lot of hearing in my Left ear due to ongoing tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus...also last year, I received the news that I have Chiari (6 mm herniation) and more recently at TCI I learned that I also have a retroflexed odontoid process.  TCI thinks my hearing loss and ear issues are DIRECTLY related to the Chiari.  I believe this to be true as 2 sets of tubes and a lifetime of ENT care hasn't made a difference...I lost the hearing anyway and now have a hearing aide.  They also suspect EDS, but I haven't been to see a genetic MD yet.  I think it's all related.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Chiari Malformation Community