Chiari Malformation Community

It's been asked before, but weight training for chiari?

So I used to have a decent bit of muscle mass and I used to be pretty good with exercise. That kind of stopped during High school and I'm trying to get back into it during college since the Chiari (and CP) have taken their toll on my muscle tone and mass. I've read that over 15 pounds is unwise for chiari people to use when weight training, but I used to do much more than that when I was younger and never saw a problem. What are y'all's opinions on this?
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It is strain that can cause us issues, I was able to do so much more but lost upper body strength and just lifting small items or carrying them up a flight of stairs caused awful pounding HA's....We are all different and will be affected by this differently, so if u have the ability to lift more without strain and the pain that goes with it...then u may be able to.

U will have to see what ur body can take without causing the symptoms to flare on u....start slow and build....go with 5lbs and add until u see symptoms then step down and work there a while and see if u can add again....if not that is all ur body will allow.