Mid/Upper back pain

I was wondering if anybody suffers from severe mid/upper back pain.  I have a herniated L5 disk pressing on my sacral nerve - so I am "use to" the lower back pain and leg pain, but within the last 2-3 weeks I have been experiencing severe mid to upper back pain along with the daily headaches and neck pain.  Anyone else experience the mid-upper back pain or is this totally un-related the Chiari?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I get upper back pain between my shoulder blades. Sometimes it will shoot down my left arm.
Helpful - 0
When I was gong through the process of being dx'd I was going to a massage therpist and she told me that many woman ecspecially hold all our tension in the neck and shoulder area.  I no longer go to massage because they can't touch my head or neck any more, but putting heat on it for 20 min does help relieve some of the tension.  Hope you try this and it works for you.
Linda :)
Helpful - 0
I have the same problem with upper/mid back pain...ironically I also have the same disc as u do which is bulging and pressing on nerve. Crazy!

The best thing for me as far as the upper and mid back pain is stretching and walking...I notice if I'm sitting too long it just gets worse. Also try heat, I've found some relief with that as well, especially before stretching because it helps your muscles to be able to stretch better (according to my physical therapist).

I hope this helps and I hope it works for u!
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER

JC- I had this as well as lower back pain...it seems we can have pain just about newhere,....

This is y it is best to have MRI's of all areas of the spine to rule out other possible causes .
Helpful - 0
Wow that is some coincidence!  I use to go to the chiropractor - but those days are over....I do stretch, but for some reason it makes me insanely dizzy.. I will try the heat.. thankss
Helpful - 0
I was thinking of asking my PCP for an MRI of my lumbar because my last one was in Oct 2011 when they found the herniated L5 disk.  I have never had an MRI of my thoracic spine... I wonder if they can do the lumbar and thoracic on the same day??.. I am soooo sick of MRI's - yesterday made number 6.  I am willing to go for the 7th lol what do I got to lose..
Helpful - 0
Yeah days of chiropractor and massage are over =/ . . I will give the heat a try.. My lower back still hurts along with my right leg, but it seems the mid to upper back pain is so much worse it is blocking out the lower back pain... Thanks for the advice =)
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER

Good luck getting the other MRI's done....I had so many I said I should be magnetized by now lol....but the more u have the easier it is to have them....I can just about fall asleep inside now....lol...

We can still have a massage as long as they know not to touch our necks....I went until the place closed down....wish it was still there , the lady there knew me and just how to deal with me....oh well....
Helpful - 0
I think I will go to my PCP for the mid-upper back pain to get an MRI script... yes I also have done a lot so I am pretty use to them .. although still not a big fan... My grandmother gets a massage weekly and the man is very very nice.. and seems easy to talk to - so maybe after the MRI, I will go to see him.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER

Good for u...keep us posted : )

Oh and don;t forget to ask for copies of the MRI and the report.
Helpful - 0
Yes
Between shoulder blades sharp pain..
This troubled me well before I knew I had chiari...
Even prior to the fast downward. Spiral of symptoms ...
I am hoping this will lessen after cervical fusion.
Helpful - 0
What type of MRI's did you get?  and what exactly are you getting the cervical fusion for?
Helpful - 0
The latest MRI was cervical spine...

I had 5—6 fusion before to resolve headpain ..
  Now scheduled for
6-7,5-4,4–3..
This is last resort,nothing left but decompression, last resort.
Helpful - 0
I'm scheduled to see a spinal surgeon this Thursday about the possibility of operating on my herniated discs at C5-6 and C6-7, and foraminal stenosis at these levels on the right side.  I have a 6mm herniation of my cerebellum and have been told by a NS that I don't require decompression surgery.  I do not have a syrinx but I was wondering if the pressure from the Chiari could be causing the degeneration, herniation and bone spurs in my neck?

I have an appointment with a new NL (the last one was a disaster) but they can't get me in until July!!!!!!!  I'm so frustrated.  The timing and sequence of this long quest has been jumbled before, but not like this. Would it make things worse for my Chiari if I have a discectomy and fusion? I don't know how I can make it like this for another six months.

Also, I'm seriously considering traveling out of state to see a true Chiari specialist.  I keep hearing ppl talk about Dr. Oro, so maybe him.  TCI seems like an option since I live in Ohio (closer)--anyone want to share their opinion?

Thank you, as always, for listening.
Helpful - 0
YES.  Prior to decompression and fusion skull to c2, I had radiating, unrelenting pain in my thoracic spine right between my shoulder blades.  No amount of massage, pain pills, etc. would diminish the gnawing pain there.  Now that I am 7 months post op, that pain is GONE.  In fact, that was one of the first things I noticed post op -- the absence of that gnawing pain.  In speaking with my NS, I had "referred pain" coming from the combination of the Chiari, the cranio-cervical instability (from Stickler's/EDS) and the basiliar impression (from a retro-flexed odontoid process).  
Helpful - 0
I am very happy to hear your pain is gone after your surgery! . . Did you have other symptoms relating to the Chiari that also went away after surgery as well?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Chiari Malformation Community