Chiari Malformation Community

My son & his headaches...

My son has had a few CT scans, but they kept saying they were normal, there was nothing going on in there.  The last one, I think was maybe 6 months ago...or maybe it was longer. Anyway, he is getting these headaches. I at first thought maybe it was due to his high bp, or the fact that he gets no excercise (he is 12) and it is like pulling a bad tooth to get him to even go on a walk. Trying to get him in to workout sessions at the Family Y soon. Anyway, then my other thought was he wears these big heavy headphones to play Xbox Live all the time and thinking that was giving him a headache(s).

Well, although I am getting him into the doctor (the doctor he sees won't be in for 2 weeks), I am starting to be paranoid that he may have Chiari too. I know it can be hereditary, and that being said so...I was reallllllllyyyyy hoping that he did not have it too. I really don't want him to go through this. He has no other symptoms, except headaches lately.  He does have some sinus issues going on (cold like) and maybe that is all it is, idk.  He has had these headaches before though and the last doctor took an guess and said it was probably just allergies causing them.  They thought everything looked fine.  He has Tourettes Syndrome, and I haven't heard of that causing headaches.  

I guess, I just have lost so much faith in physicians around here, that I just don't know who to trust and what they say. I am praying his doctor will order a CT scan again.  However, I don't want any of my family or him know this, but I realllllyyyy worry about the outcome of it. I am so scared about different things, such as Chiari, or even that it could be a tumor. I say that because, I have Chiari and also all these kids I have met lately through fb groups or even a few around here (2 of my friend's children) have had one and passed away after a long battle with it, they were in places that were inoperative.  The chiari issue, can be taken care of but, the last thing I would want if we didn't have to, is for my son to have to have surgery.  He is only 12 and we don't even know if he is allergic to anything yet, such as anesthesia or anything. I know I am getting all worried and no other tests have happened yet.
Okay so sorry to keep going on, but I did read something that made me feel a little better (hopefully it is true to what it says - meaning it is nothing worse):

Kids get headaches and migraines, too! Many adults with headaches started having them as kids -- in fact, 20% of adult headache sufferers say their headaches started before age 10, and 50% report their headaches started before age 20.

How Common Are Headaches in Children and Adolescents?

Headaches are very common in children and adolescents. In one study, 56% of boys and 74% of girls between the ages of 12 and 17 reported having had a headache within the past month. By age 15, 5% of all children and adolescents have had migraines and 15% have had tension headaches.

Many parents worry that their child's headache is the sign of a brain tumor or serious medical condition, but most headaches in children and adolescents are not the result of a serious illness.

What Types of Headaches Do Children and Adolescents Get?

Children get the same types of headaches adults do, including: tension headaches, migraines, and sinus headaches.

What Causes Headaches in Children and Adolescents?

Children get headaches for many of the same reasons adults get headaches. But, most headaches in children are usually due to an illness, infection, cold, or fever. Other conditions that can cause headaches include sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses), pharyngitis (inflammation or infection of the throat), or otitis (ear infection).

The exact causes of migraines are unknown, although they are related to changes in the brain as well as to genetic causes. For many years, scientists believed that migraines were linked to the expanding (dilation) and constriction (narrowing) of blood vessels on the brain's surface. However, it is now believed that migraines are caused by inherited abnormalities in certain areas of the brain.

Most children and adolescents (90%) who have migraines have other family members with migraines. When both parents have a history of migraines, there is a 70% chance that the child will also develop migraines. If only one parent has a history of migraines, the risk drops to 25%-50%. Children and adolescents with migraines may also inherit the tendency to be affected by certain migraine triggers, such as fatigue, bright lights, and changes in weather.

Some migraine triggers can be identified such as stress, anxiety, depression, a change in routine or sleep pattern, bright light, loud noises, or certain foods, food additives, and beverages. Too much physical activity or too much sun can trigger a migraine in some children or adolescents as well.

Common causes of tension headaches include striving for academic excellence as well as emotional stress related to family, school, or friends. Other causes of tension headaches include eyestrain and neck or back strain due to poor posture. Depression may also be a reason your child is having headaches.

When tension headaches worsen over time and occur along with other neurological symptoms such as loss of vision, speech problems, or muscle weakness, they can be the sign of a more serious problem, such as:

Hydrocephalus (abnormal build-up of fluid in the brain)
Infection of the brain including:
Meningitis (an infection or inflammation of the membrane that covers the brain and spinal cord)
Encephalitis (inflammation of the brain)
Abscess
Hemorrhage (bleeding within the brain)
Tumor
Blood clots
Head trauma
If you suspect any of the above listed conditions, immediately take your child to his or her doctor for evaluation.

Then to make this a bit shorter it goes on to say:

Do Children Outgrow Headaches?

Headaches may improve as your child gets older. The headaches may disappear and then return later in life. By junior high school, many boys who have migraines outgrow them, but in girls, migraine frequency increases with age because of hormone changes. Migraines are three times more likely to occur in adolescent girls than in boys.

So I am hoping this is all it is. See I did the symptom checker and it came up with different stuff including migrane.
COMMUNITY LEADER

Keep positive...many kids his age r inactive and it is the world we live in...hopefully u can get him to be more active and things will improve.

Keep us posted : )
I would add to that my ns yesterday told me a story about a man who had ha and it was due to his helmet he wears so you might look at changing headphones and se if it helps that is a simple solution....best of luck