Neck pain

I have a terrible cold, and my neck and back of head are absolutely killing me.  I can litterally feel the back of my head pulsating..feel like my eyes are going to bug out of my head.  Still haven't heard a word from my dr, but it has been confirmed by two other drs that I have this..not sure why he is in denial about it all :( Is there anything I should worry about? Is there anything I can do to stop this pain? I have tried tylenol and advil..nothing is helping!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi...OTC meds may take the edge off some pain, but not if ur head is pulsating....if u have a cold and r stuffy u will want to take a antihistamine this is the best thing I have found as many of us have sinus issues too and it adds to the pain we deal with.

What type of Dr is in denial and y do u need him to accept this if u have other Drs that have confirmed it? All u need is a Chiari specialist...??? I am confused?
Helpful - 0
I sent my scans to drs in the states for another issue..I have superior canal dehisence on both sides..2 drs found the chiari on my mri scan..I have let my dr know this and over 2 weeks ago he was sending my scans to be re-read here..I can't make any appointments here to see specialists on my own..have to be referred.
Helpful - 0
I had a cold/flu several weeks ago, and I could not get the pain down for anything, including narcotics.  I think being 3 mo post op & blowing my nose so much contributed to the pain as well as sinus pressure.

Careful blowing your nose--easier said than done--there's a lot of force behind it, & coughing too.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER

Oh I see, that is y I hope our medical does not change to something along those lines...I like that I can go to whom and when I want ....and I do not need to get a Dr to agree or approve....that is such a waste of time as it is it takes long to get in....granted it can cost a lot even with ins....but I would rather be able to choose my Dr then have to go to where I am sent,
Helpful - 0
You are very lucky that way..my ent is just avoiding me..so not fair..I have emailed him again hoping that I can get an answer of some sort
Helpful - 0
Viva001 I can't blow my nose because of the superior canal dehiscences that I have
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER

Well hang in there I pray ur E-mail gets some attention...and u some help <3

Keep us Posted.
Helpful - 0
My dr just emailed me..apparently the radiology department refuses to read my mri again to look for it..not sure what my dr plans to do now..he said he showed a neurosurgeon and he said it "might' be a chiari malformation..so unfair.if other drs saw it, and its 15 mm, isnt that sorta big or does it just sound big to me?
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER

It is not the size that is important and that is not what makes it chiari, but too many Drs use that as criteria to determine if it is Chiari or not...

The issue u need to be concerned with is if u have a CSF obstruction, but if ur Drs r not willing to even dx it as chiari I doubt they will do more testing....

Helpful - 0
Not sure if he is unwilling to diagnose it as chiari..I am hoping he sends me to a neurosurgeon..someone who knows about these things..he is just an ENT..hopefully he will let me know more today.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER

Good luck and let us know how it goes today with the ENT.
Helpful - 0
My ENT gave me nothing but wishy washy answers, like he knew nothing at all!!, and he probably doesn't know enough about Chiari to give an educated answer.  See an NS!
Helpful - 0
My ENT got back to me yesterday finally, and I am seeing a neurosurgeon..now being in Canada, this could take upwards to 7 months to get in to see one, but I guess its's a start!! I am hoping it doesn't take that long..I have seen him before so maybe that will give me a better chance of getting in faster :) Lynnbrook, I know what you mean..I also have superior canal dehiscences in both ears, he has been seeing me for that and I guess this was totally missed somehow..strange tho..I sent my mri scans to 2 drs in the states and they saw it right away..that really bothers me!
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER

Praying it does not take that long....keep us posted : )
Helpful - 0
I am from Canada too, so I understand your concern.  I am also about to see an NS for the second time, but it only took about 8 weeks for an appointment in T.O. so I guess I am lucky!  If I feel I get the run-around, I may look at sending mri's to New York also.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Chiari Malformation Community