Chiari Malformation Community

Neck stiffness and pain

Hi, I've been diagnosed a few months now with ACM1, my neck stiffness and pain along my spine seems to be increasing. It's not unbearable but it's constantly there, I don't take any of the muscles relaxers prescribed due to their side effects.
If my MRI was in Nov2012, when should I repeat?
I also haven't been given a measurement for my cerebral tonsils, is that ok?
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

The way my Chiari specialist handled MRI's was if it was older then 6 months he wanted a new one to review, once he reviewed them, I would not need another one unless I developed new symptoms.

Do u have a Chiari specialist?

The length of the tonsils is not as important as the width or if it is creating a CSF obstruction.

Have u had other symptoms other then what u mentioned above?

There are related conditions that should be ruled out, Syringomyelia, tethered cord, disk issues,ICP, POTS, scoliosis, ehlers-danlos,sleep apnea,

So to answer regarding ur MRI, not until u develop more symptoms, this one can be used as one to compare to...

Do u have copies of ur MRI? and the report?

If not call the facility that did the study and request the MRI and report so u can get a 2nd opinion.

Always request copies of ALL testing so u have on hand this will make getting opinions easier and faster.

Not all with Chiari are surgical candidates, but if u r, research and locate the best Dr for u, one that is a true Chiari specialist, having the right Dr is key.