Chiari Malformation Community

Swollen Lymph Nodes After Surgery

A few weeks ago, I had Chiari decompression surgery with a laminectomy and duraplasty. About 2 weeks after my surgery I noticed a lump maybe between the size of a pea and a blueberry on the side of my neck. Over the next few days, I developed about 4 more. I am assuming they are swollen lymph nodes based on their locations. They are hard and do not move, and are only slightly painful when I apply pressure to them. One of the lumps is right beside the bottom of my incision. It has been almost a week now, and they have not gotten smaller, in fact, 2 have gotten larger. Is this something to worry about? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure if it's related to the surgery, but this has never happened to me before. Thanks!
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi....I have heard of issues with the lymph nodes post op...but not the same exact issue you are having....I suggest you call your Dr especially since some have gotten larger....see what he/she feels regarding them...and let us know what you find out.

How are you feeling other wise?
Yes, I called on friday and left a message and am still waiting to hear back, but I plan on calling again tomorrow. I am feeling okay, I'm definitely getting better every day, and am able to turn my head a few inches to each side. I am able to walk better and be more on my own, but I feel I am still far from being myself. I am pretty much off of the pain pills now, and am just taking muscle relaxers. I have had a sore throat that has come and gone for the past couple weeks, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the surgery, but I have read that sore throat and swollen lymph nodes can often go hand in hand. I will post what I find out about the lymph nodes tomorrow.
COMMUNITY LEADER

This recovery can be slow and long compared to other surgeries....so be patient and allow your body to heal by not rushing to get back to "normal" life and activities.....they can wait....

You do not have thrush do you? White tongue?....