Chiari Malformation Community

Syrinx at C7

Hello all, about a year and a half ago they found a "tiny" syrinx at C7 when I had an MRI done due to unexplained chest pressure and tingling/numbness on the left side of my body.  They dismissed the syrinx as the cause and suggested my symptoms were just anxiety without doing any further investigation to try to determine the cause of the syrinx.  The symptoms mostly disappeared for about a year and then about two months ago I started having small bouts of chest pressure that came and went which quickly became replaced by a very stiff neck on the right side, followed by arm and shoulder pain, which has been replaced by a stiff neck and back and a funny numbness on the left side of my body that makes me feel like I am weak on that side but have not experienced any signs of actual weakness when walking or running or lifting things (the left hand actually feels like carpal tunnel).  The stiffness in my neck and back has lasted for about a month now and I have decided to go back to the see neurologist, who I am afraid will say the symptoms are not severe enough to warrant another MRI to see if the syrinx is active.  Has anyone experienced these types of symptoms?  Not sure if syrinx related systems come and go like that or tend to originate in one part of the body and spread vice jump all over the place like mine have.  I am also afraid it may just be anxiety knowing the syrinx is there and could one day be a problem.  Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to shed some light.
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Chiari can be a reason one could develop a syrinx, and the symptoms can come and go like you mentioned....and a syrinx's symptoms can all of a sudden increase in severity....sometimes they can be slow to change...

I would suggest you find a Dr that is a specialist for Chiari as they also treat Syringomyelia (syrinx).