Chiari Malformation Community

WEDNESDAY'S WEIGHT IN WORKSHOP~~

Hi All...lets get started...first who all wants to participate?

U do not need to tell us ur weight or how much u want to lose, but u may want to get the tracker up and running so u can track ur progress.

SO...post ur name and if u want to participate in a diet modification/exercise program for those with limitations.

and hopefully we can support each other as we shed weight....and feel stronger with out pain : )
I'm in!
I'm in!
COMMUNITY LEADER

Only 2??? I thought we would have more....

Ok...?- do either  of u have IBS issues?...GERD?

More than 10 lbs to lose

more than 20lbs to lose?

Still have balance issues?

No IBS or GERD...Hiatal hernia and Esophogeitis.
Wayyyyy more than 20lbs to lose.
Balance is pretty good.
Guess some moral support might help me too :)  I would LOVE to lose 20 pounds!  I still have balance issues from the 3rd surgery.  Probably a good place to start would have been skipping the giant blueberry muffin I just ate :)
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes...how awful lol

I also have a problem with cardio exercises but BP meds are improving it.  I just ordered a bike trainer for my mountain bike so hopefully that will help me this winter!
Count me in!!!!

I have Gerd and Hiatal hernia. And I want to lose at least 50 pound!
COMMUNITY LEADER

Ok...is everyone eating healthy?

If u have GERD, r u following  the correct diet?

I've been working on eating healthier.

- Limited amount of bread, whole grain (I can't do wheat, gross)
- Rarely pasta
- Nothing fried, cook with olive oil if necessary
- Very little, if any, red meat.  Lots of chicken and pork, and some turkey.
- Lots of fruit.  I usually eat some with breakfast and maybe as late night dessert
- Veggies I'm picky about.  I put spinach on nearly everything and have spinach salads, also lots of tomatoes and peppers
- Lots of seasoning makes everything taste great!
- Always eat breakfast
- I have a 32oz water jug and try to hit the 64oz everyday.  Some days it's easy, some days not!
- Portion control is a side effect of my medication, conveniently

My weakness is soda.  I have usually no more than two 12oz per day, but the caffeine helps my headaches a lot so sometimes it's more.  I tried coffee but it makes me feel sick, and caffeinated tea (hard to find!) didn't seem to work.

Would love any further diet advice!  I tried to get in to see a nutritionist, but my ins would not cover.

I don't have GERD, but likely have IBS...diet changes have made it slightly better, but still a big problem.  I was told metamucil would help and also kill late night cravings, so I will let you know.
COMMUNITY LEADER

What meds is everyone on?....has neone been on an antibiotic recently?

Probiotics r helpful for those with IBS as is supplementing magnesium.

Eating a diet with the right amount of fiber helps as well : )

Soda, is not good for u, too much sugar.....I understand u want the caffeine but, would advise against about the 2 per day. JMHO

I am amazed at the improved sleep, and how my IBS is since adding the probiotics and magnesium.

Please speak with ur PCP b4 adding ne supplements as they may have a adverse reaction to other meds u may be on.

Count me in.  I have gained 20 lbs since my surgery last year.  I think it had a lot to do with the Lyrica I was taking and the pain clinic just changed this to Keppra and hopefully this will help.  I am a walker, and I try to get out at least 3 times a week and walk at least 2 to 3 miles.  My weakness is pop. (diet) but I am alway's drinking it. I know it's not good for me and I don't drink that much water.   Also my nightly ice cream.  I acturally ran out last night so I won't buy any more.  I love having all of you for support.
I will start my magnesium back up.  Dr had give it to me for headaches but since it didn't help, I stopped taking...but I never considered it might be helping my stomach issues.

linnielou232, do you get headaches from walking?  If so, what did you find to help you??  I used to go on walks but at some point it started killing my head.  I have to wear heavily padded shoes to even go grocery shopping.