Chiari Malformation Community

What can I really expect after surgery?

I am still trying to decide if I should do this. If you have had the surgery, please tell me the real story- not the canned answers that the doctors (who have NOT had the surgery) dish out  My symptoms are getting worse. I also have Aspergers so I have no friends and no relatives to help me post-op. I live near two great hospitals and would have the surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. I am 55,not getting any younger, and my neurological symptoms could make keeping a job difficult if they get much worse. So- think I can do this alone?
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

No.....I do not think u can do this alone....many Drs will tell u that u will need X number of weeks to heal and then u can return to work...it can take more like months...especially if they have not ruled out ALL related conditions as they  can affect how u feel and heal post op.

Plus, u can not over do it post op or u will develop set backs.

With the set backs in mind, I am not sure how u can do this without help.

Feel free once u accept my friend request to read my journal on my surgical experience.....Keep in mind we r all different and will have a different experience....having the right Dr, and knowing ALL those related conditions were ruled out is key,