Chiari Malformation Community

diet

Since beginning meds fr CM, I have gained a good bit of weight (almost 20 lbs in 1 year).  I also cannot exercise as much since my legs hurt almost continually (which neuro says is fibromyalgia).  Any suggestions about diet that may help lose weight and benefit leg pain
COMMUNITY LEADER

HI...I am working with a Dr on MedHelp for an exercise program for us!!

As soon as I know it is doable I will let u all in on it...

Now as for a diet, I have a few questions...do u know if u have a thyroid issue? were u checked lately for an autoimmune issue?How about Ehlers-Danlos? Do u ever have issues with IBS?

Sorry for the questions, but they will help in answering ur question.

"selma"
I'm interested in your thoughts that led you to ask about IBS.  I've had something along those lines start up with my CM symptoms.  At first I thought it was just from being dizzy/nauseous all the time, but I'm not nauseous anymore and I'm still having issues.

And it's absolutely wonderful to hear you're working with a dr about an exercise program.  I can't wait to hear more!

COMMUNITY LEADER

Well I asked about IBS bcuz if our digestive system is not working properly we will gain weight...no diet will change that until we deal with the IBS issues.

I also had a dx of Hashimotos which is a thyroid condition and I gained quite a bit and  at a yr post op my lab reports showed I no longer needed the meds and now at 2 yrds post op still no meds, I did lose some weight, but can not seem to move beyond that but my IBS keeps flaring up, so I am taking probiotics which were working until I added a new med, so I am stopping the new med to see if getting my digestive track on track will help lose weight...in addition I am  working on the exercises for those of us with limitations.

I will post them once I have the program complete.

"selma"
selmaS:

You rock with the diet program!

I too am having issues with a lot of weight gain since surgery in '08.  I have Graves in remission so the endo checks my thyroid and says my levels are "normal".  Still I wonder if chiari hasn't done something to trip up my pituitary gland.  It was quite flat when I saw it last MRI.  My endo is good at endocrinology but isn't that familiar with CM so I think I need to ask him about this.

Is there a link or web site that might have a listing of the types of things us Chiarians are prone to (IBS, EDS, ect) and how they affect weight?

Sorry I don't have more to contribute to the OT.
Wow didn't know IBS caused weight gain. Yes I have that as well n have gained lot of weight. Someone needs to help us.

Also I have fallen three times lately!  Grrrrrrrr!!!

If people only knew what we battle each n every day...
COMMUNITY LEADER

I will tell u all right now, that the probiotics my PCP stated me on r helping me with the IBS issues I was having...they r also supposed to help with vitamin absorption....help lower cholesterol....and if all goes well, I am hoping lose weight in the process  : )