Chiari Malformation Community

hair salon

ok i'm getting my hair cut tomorrow. i was planning on coming in with my hair already wet so i don't have to use the sink. (i'm about 3 months post op now) BUT, it's someone i've never been to before. and i'm getting a LOT cut off. so i'm scared that if she doesn't know how my hair looks and feels when it's dry she won't do a good job.

what do you think i should do? let her wash it and just put towels under my neck for cushion? or just show her a picture of what my hair normally looks like and hope thats enough?
D:
COMMUNITY LEADER

Go in dry, they can spray u with a spray bottle...I do not go in with a wet head in the winter....

Do not use the sink....there is no reason y the person can not use a spray bottle, if they refuse, take ur business else where, no sense hurting urself.

JMHO
thanks selma. i think i'll be donating it so its probably better to cut the large portion off when it's dry anyway. before i found out i had chiari i always wondered how people endured those dang sinks. they're horrible!
I had my hair done at about 3 mo post op  by the time i leaned back on the sink i was cryin. Wash your hair dry it then go. I havent had my hair done sunce
COMMUNITY LEADER

That is such a lovely idea....is this in preparation of surgery or just to get it cut?

I had a hair dresser long b4 I got my DX, I knew then I had an issue with the sink and he would hold my neck and massage my head and neck...oh how I miss him,.....
I have been blessed with my future daughter in law being a hair dresser, but that is what she does for me.  I wash it before I go and then she spray's it down.  It's  nice your donating your hair.  It's such a wonderful cause, and it's a good feeling.  Enjoy tomorrow and your new hair cut.
Linda :)
thanks, it's just to get it cut. when straightened, it's past my waist so i figured it was time for a change :) and actually now that i think about it, when i was younger i always went to the same stylist and she would hold my neck for me too!
i'll stick with washing it and letting it dry before i go.
COMMUNITY LEADER

WOW that is long, my DD's hair was that long when she was little, but she had to cut it, as a dancer it was too much to put into a bun....

We do not realize or the hair dresser  is not aware how much we strain those neck muscles sitting in that position...so, them holding our neck we can actually relax, the other way we can not.
I bet your hair is beautiful.  I never was able to get mine past my back, but now I'm trying to grow it out because my grandkid's want to see me with longer hair.  Also I wear ear plugs quite often so the hair will cover them up.  How short are you going?  
yeah, once it gets past a certain point it gets hard to deal with. putting it in a bun is harder than it looks! lol and a really long pony tail is annoying. it's wavy/curly so it doesnt look quite as long as it really is. i'm getting it cut to right at my shoulders i think.
the only reason it is as long as it is has to do with my...fear?....of hair salons. maybe it's because i tend to be protective of my head area without realizing it, and having someone touching your head for so long is stressful! lol
COMMUNITY LEADER

I think it is more the natural ability to compensate for things we inwardly know we need to avoid....we may not understand y, but we instinctively do it....and again this is one thing or area that I feel is the reason so many of us r unaware of all of our symptoms as we adjust to avoid with out really knowing it or knowing y.

JMHO
I know you have already gotten your hair cut by now but for future reference you can easily get it washed at the salon!  Just lean forward over the sink from a standing or preferably kneeling position. My hair stylist suggested it when I went at 10 weeks post op and thought there was no way I could get it washed first. But, he had me kneel comfortably on a chair with a cushion on it, facing the sink, and then rolled up a towel on the edge of the sink. I then positioned my chin on my hands, head down but not tipped forward at all, and rested comfortably on the edge of the sink while he gently used the sprayer and carefully washed my hair. No pain at all even though at the time my head was pretty darn sore overall. We still wash my hair this way now because I don't ever want to lean back-too much potential for trouble.

Give it a try. Just be sure that your head is aligned with your spine, not tipped downward. It works well for me!

Great that you donated your hair!
Jen
COMMUNITY LEADER

That  is how I had my Dh wash my hair in my kitchen sink...as it was easier to lean against the counter and I also rolled a towel to rest against...this worked for me....I have not had a salon offer or allow me to do this as their chairs were not able to have someone on them backward as the one said,....but worth asking : )
thanks for the advice! i might try that next time. the haircut went well but i got it cut i realized my hair had been permanently dyed a few times, and you can't donate dyed hair :/ sad. i cut probably around 10 inches off. woohoo! so much less to worry about! no more tipping my head over to get all my hair on one side and out of my way lol
COMMUNITY LEADER

Y don't they take dyed hair?...just curious....do u know?
Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable.
Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable.  If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate.
COMMUNITY LEADER

Thanks Mel...where did u get the info?...do u get involved with this?
My niece had a bone marrow transplant at 2 and I used to do hair.  I copied the info from their website:)
COMMUNITY LEADER

Oh well thanks so much : )
I am headed in on Tuesday for a cut and color. Last time I was sick for 3 day after, this time we talked about kneeling in the chair and facing into the sink as well. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work!
it has been highlightened also. it was not very healthy hair to say the least haha
good luck with yours jiggle