Chiari Malformation Community

help!

can someone please give me a list of GREAT SURGEON. I live in Louisiana so some where in Mississippi or ark or texas would be great. I have 10 children so somewhere close to home would be better. how long is the recovery time for decompression surgery. please someone ease my mind iam kinda scared to death. thank you in advance for answering my question. hugs
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I can give you  alist of Drs BUT you will have to research them to see how good of a Dr they truly are.....the lists we have here are compiled by the members here of Drs they have been to, treated by and liked....it is in no way a referral nor an endorsement of those listed.

LOUISIANA

Scott W. Soleau, M.D.
Neurosurgery
The NeuroMedical Center Clinic
10101 Park Rowe Avenue
3rd Floor
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70810
Phone: (225) 768-2050

TEXAS

Dr. Jeremy Denning
Dr. Richard Jackson
Dallas Neurosurgical and Spine Associates
Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas,
Professional Building III,
Suite 220,
8230 Walnut Hill Lane,
Dallas, Texas 75231
Phone: 214-750-364

Victor Kareh, MD
Neurosurgery, Spine Surgery
21216 Northwest Freeway
Suite 230
Cypress, TX 77429
281-640-2121

Gulf Coast Brain & Spine Institue
Dr. Peter J. Yeh, MD, FACS
Board Certified Neurological Surgeon
6565 West Loop South, Ste. 450
Houston, TX  77401
713.661.8900
713.661.5535 fax

Dr. David Jimenez
UT San Antonio Health Sciences Center
7703 Floyd Curl Dr. (MC 7843)
Medical School Building, 102F
210-567-5625 • FAX 210-567-6066
Adults and Pediatrics
San Antonio , TX 78229-3900

Dr Dong H. Kim
Mischner Neuroscience Associates
6400 Fannin Suite 2800
Huston, TX
713-704-7100

Dr. Rob Parrish
Methodist Hospital
Huston, TX

How long it takes to recover from surgery should you qualify for it depends on you and if you have any other related or underlying condition's and  of course your surgeons experience and knowledge....but this is one surgery that will take time...up to 2 yrs for the nerves to heal and over time you will see benefits....this is not something you can put a time line on.

Hang in there you are not alone.
thank you so much for such a fast reply. I go back to neurologist today. most of my drs just think iam crazy lol. there like there isn't anyway you can have all of those symptoms lol. I have started having muscle twitching like inside my body not really a spasm just all over inside body it moves around like a worm. can this be normal for chiari. now my crazy brain is like omg I have als. some days I feel like my whole body has been lifting weights but I haven't. can this be normal? I need a chill pill lol. but at this moment I only take vistiaril when I have a bad flare up. its seems to call down my central nervous system. and then ill be fine for a day or two muscle pain gone anxiety gone its crazy. btw iam so glad I found you guys. I feel so alone sometimes. no one seems to understand. thanks hugs  
COMMUNITY LEADER

It is very possible for you to experience symptoms that are not listed or that many others with Chiari have not...we are all different and it really depends on which nerves are being compressed by the  obstruction as to what symptoms we may experience.

I had a lot of odd muscle issues as well and after a few yrs from surgery I noticed they are not as common as they had once been....I do have EDS so some muscle issues will be "normal" for me.....so do make sure EDS is ruled out as I said ALL related and non related conditions should be ruled out to help determine what is going on and the best course of treatment.
The only one in Texas I would see is Jimenez, I saw him yesterday and scheduled surgery. I can't tell you how understanding and good he is! I saw Dr Jackson in Dallas a couple years ago and he said I didn't have chiari.