Chiari Malformation Community

what can i do for the pain in my neck & head...

Last night was really hard for me. I didn't sleep at all.... my head was killing me. My neck was killing me to. Nothing even helps with the headaches... that neck pain is really bad. I never sleep anyways so I'm kind of use to it. I was like that before I knew I had chiari... I wonder is that due to the chiari....
I WISH there was something that could magically take it all away! We all have our own little things that we do when we're in pain; some people get really good pillows that support the head & neck; some take pain OTC pain relievers (for me, the only thing that will only slightly dull the pain is excedrin. Tylenol & Advil are useless to me.); warm heating pads or a nice relaxing hot tub. As a nurse, I can tell you that when you are in pain, your body tenses up even more, so finding ways to relax helps. And I'm telling you, the bath trick, I love! I let my head float on the water with a towel behind my neck and it takes so much pressure off. It helped relieve the pain and relieve the stress.
It's trial & error and finding what helps YOU! Good luck!!
Thank you... I will try it and see what happens...
I agree with Excederine, it is the only thing that helps my head pain, even if it is the middle of the night I know it is my only option.  As for the neck, a nice bubble bath to relax!
I'm in the same boat right now.  I think most of us are.  I've been really bad with my headaches and neck.  Believe it or not, the only thing helping lately is Ibufrophen 800mg.  That's been taking the edge off.  Not other meds work.  I also have been using cold and heat.  I interchange them.  Works a little.  Chillin in bed on a nice soft, temperpedic pillow is the best.  It forms to your head/neck and takes some pressure off.  I hope this helps you.  Feel better!

Christine XO
thank you very much guys....
Try ice too and if u have biofreeze or can get some add ice on top of it. It works to settle the pain down enough to fall asleep for me. I also end up taking excedrin it works better if nit as good as any perscription med. Try to massage around the area or have someone do it for you while you are icing and using other methods it helps to loosen the muscles.  
My wife just started taking indomethicin and it usually nocks it down. It's a med that I take for pain associated with gout flair ups. Ask your physician. It works at the nerve level to quite the pain. Steve
i totaly agree with the relaxing part. i know it sounds hard but you have to. try yoga. meditation, breathing exercises. those things will teach you how to relax yourself. i have learned without doubt that when my head hurts i cringe, my posture slups sholders come up and i clench my jaw. now everytime i feel the slightest bit of pain in my head i check all the muscles and actively release any that i am tensing up. and i do the checking and releasing all day long. it helps keep the pain to headache only ...
Thanks guys... now I have another issue. My doctor dose not think my chiari is significant enough for him. He said he dosent want to do more damage than help. And I get it.. but what do I do from here. Like how do I stop all the issues that I'm having? Another thing is I found out he onlt specialize in chiari he only specializes in brain surgery... its like what do I do next. And selma you was so right. Doctors sometimes dose not know what we feel... so now its like I'm starting all over again. And can someone tell me what 1.1cc meens???
COMMUNITY LEADER

HI....what was the context the 1.1cc was used?

It is hard to go to a dr that is not a chiari specialist, they claim they can treat a chiari patient, but if it is not a cut and dry easy situation, they tend to back away, or if they just do not know or feel comfortable they back  away....there could be a few reasons y this dr felt  this...AND, it is possible that  a chiari specialist may say u r not a surgical candidate at this time too. Benefits must out weight the risks...and there r risks.

I would get another opinion, one from a true chiari specialist...and go from there.

"selma"
Thank you selma.. that's what iam about to do... 1.1cc was what he said about my chiari well the size of it. I guess that's not so bad. But its like where do I go from here. Do I wait for it to get worst... I don't know what to do or say... I'm lost. But I'm going to find a doctor who specializes in chiari...
COMMUNITY LEADER

Do u mean 1.1 CM? not CC?....the herniations r usually  in MM's; millimeter and not CC's...not sure what that could be unless u mean CM for centimeter...

And it is not the size that matters it is the fact  if u have an obstruction and overcrowding...and the width is more important that the length....

Long and thin may not obstruct CSF flow like a short wide  one......

Once u have a Chiari dx, u can as long as ur ins permits...call true chiari specialists and get an opinion...many do this for free or a nominal fee.

"selma"