Aa
A
A
A
Close
Child Behavior Community
14.2k Members

3 yr old son refuses to eat by himself.

hi my son who recently turned 3 refuses to eat by himself.He just started Preschool .His teachers also complain the same that he refuses to sit during lunch time and totally refuses to eat..until he is spoon fed.

He has been recently diagnosed with slight Autism.He has always been a good eater.At the age of 1and half, he taught himself to use the spoon and fork and always ate by himself...but then he became  very picky.To help him eat more types of food..I started to spoon feed him and now he eats all types of food.But I cant get him to feed himself.He will throw tantrums and refuses to eat at all. (if i try to feed him...he will eat well).But now I am strict that he should eat by himself...and I wont feed him,(thats to help him be independent in school.)

I feel very sad when he does not eat well and goes to bed without a full dinner.

His Early intervention classes begin soon.I really hope they can guide me with training my son.

Do any one out there have suggestions of what I can do to help him be independent again- and start to eat his  meals by himself?
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Children's Health Answerers
189897 tn?1441130118
San Pedro, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments