6 year old still peeing his pants

I have a 6yr old son who daily wets his pants. He says he cant feel it when it happens but other times he does get the urge to pee. We have taken him to his dr & 2 specialists as well who did tests and all say nothing is wrong. Said he would out grow it before he started 1st grade but he didnt. He does all his own laundry as a natural consiquence. We thought it could be a mental health issue & had him evaluated only to hear he is a " bright, well rounded young man". We have him pee every 2 hours but he will wet his pants in the mean time. At least 2 times a day. What should I do next? Is their something else to test for?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
bed wetting and wetting ones pants is normal for some children. my 7 year old started doing this recently as well and we have found out he is in search for more attention from the adults and his friends. he is a very bright child and is advanced in all his schooling but he is seeking attention in other ways which us as parents get so frustrated about. maybe the pressures of school and less time with mom and dad is causing these problems with the children. i would try to cut off water and drinks about 2 hours before bed and monitor how much the child is drinking through out the day. My oldest daughter had this same problem and it was an underdeveloped urethra which is the opening from the bladder to expel waste. she is 9 now and has an accident every once in a great while when she is told by her teachers that she cant go to the restroom at school. which that could also be the issue for your children. see at home they are able to use the restroom when ever they need to and at school they are told they need to wait so many times they wet their pants because they cant wait and end up bringing that behavior home as well. it could also be an insecurity or the one thing many parents don't want to consider is a child being violated sexually. and as for the night time wetting it could be they are a deep sleeper and cant wake up to go to the restroom and end up having an accident which is the issue with my oldest son who is 12 years old and wears good-nights to bed. i don't make a big deal out of the wetting because if it is an attention thing they will not get the attention from me on that part i also don't allow anyone to make fun of them.
Helpful - 0
I just want to thank everyone for sharing their stories, it really made a tough morning for me and my almost 5 year old a little better. My daughter is the youngest of 3 and was potty trained at 2, but has been having accidents more and more lately. My husband and I have yelled at her, ignored her, talked to her, but nothing is working. She is going to Kindergarten in a couple of months and I'm just frustrated with this whole thing. Knowing that I'm not alone, makes me feel a lot better. Best of luck to everyone.
Helpful - 0
We are a military family. My husband has just joined in 2008, and this is our first move. We had to move to Germany, and then a year ago, to another place in Germany. My son is six, and he hasn't had any problems like this until we made that second move one year ago. He has been a bed wetter for a while, and I know that eventually he will grow out of that, with a little help from ma and pa. But recently he has been wetting his pants almost every day while he is outside playing with other kids. He never does this when he is inside. Just the other day he peed his pants four times, that is the most that he has done it in one day. It seems that it keeps getting worse. I had him tested for ADD (for other reasons) while he was in school. he only wet his pants one time throughout the year. I thought that he might be reverting back to his younger days due to sibling rivalry. I have a daughter that is turning two in august. He has told me many times that he thinks that we love his sister more them him. I have explained to him that this isn't true. 'The baby needs a little more attention because she is a baby, that doesn't mean that we don't love you.' The other kids poke fun at him and call him a baby and, just today, disgusting. They will run away from him screaming...as if he is a scary monster or something... This make shim so upset that he brings home an attitude that I can't stand. I have theories of what could be wrong, but none of them seem to have an exact fit to it. These problems and emotions that he has no idea how to deal with might all have something to do with it... I just don't know. I am at a loss of things to try, and find myself loosing my temper with him. I tired of cleaning all of his cloths so often!
Helpful - 0
   Our six year old girl is also suddenly having accidents.  She was potty trained at 2 and half, and at age four, started wetting the bed every so often.  Somehow we got her to stop that, and now its started again, but during the day.  She says that she didnt need to go, but then she wets herself.  Im thinking she just is distracted while playing.  She also has accidents sometimes while sleeping over at friends houses or relatives houses.  We are beyond frustrated.  I would like to resort to diapers but my husband thinks that its not a good idea.  We feel so helpless and lost.  Advice PLEASE
Helpful - 0
I completly disagree with putting a 6 year old back in diapers. You said "It is less harmful than all the emotional damage that is being done as a result of his actions". Will you not feel completely emotionaly damaged when you reach the age that you will again need to wear diapers because you bladder does not function? Both my sons had a hard time with potty training. My oldest wet his pants daily untill he was 6, then just stopped. The viberating watch really helped my younger son. We tried using a regular watch but he got embarrased infront of friends and family when it went off. I hope everything works out for everyone experiecing this tough time
Helpful - 0
My daughter is 6 years old and she wets her pants at least twice a day. The restroom is accessible to her. I already talked to the doctor and he says for her to go every hour. I even advised the nurse and her teacher about this.
Now I have read the other stories and some are similar to mine. She goes to the restroom but then if someone makes her laugh, she wets herself. Or if she is playing, she rather hold it and she'll forget and as a result, she'll wet herself.
I already talked to her about this. She says she doesn't know why or that they dont let her go. But I have already discussed it with her teachers and they say she does go to the restroom but she takes long and they think she plays in there.
I have had it with the accidents. I have tried punishment, taking away toys, and even stories about her holding it in but she doesn't care. I want to know what to do? I am so frustrated and I am about to break down. Please someone give me advice!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Community