Child Behavior Forum

6 year old with anger and abnormal body movements

My grandson is 6 years old and displays abnormal behavior.   He becomes very angry over very small matters and especially difficult when he doesn't get his way or is corrected.  He won't mind and has kicked and scratched in the past.  His parents have been asked to take him out of 3 pre schools and he is now in kindergarten and I am afraid he will not be able to function in a first grade classroom.  At times he can be so sweet and loving and then his mood turns and he's uncontrollable.  He has body actions that are abnormal as well.  His hands shake (looks a lot like the shaking of palsy) and he moves his legs all the time.  I watched him play nintendo and he was constantly changing legs...standing first on one and then the other while crossing the upheld leg behind the one on the ground.  When lying on the floor his legs are constantly moving.  He can't sit still.  
He seems to be very smart....but his concentration isn't long and he gets tired and refuses to pay attention.  He has been to several doctors, including a neurologist, and they all say that test they perform show that he is normal. I am very worried about him and my son doesn't know what else to do.  We have searched the internet trying to find something that sounds like his problem but nothing ever quite matches.  I first noticed the body movements when he was just a few months old (just sitting up) and I saw him put his right hand in a fist and go back and forth hitting the tray of his stroller with first the thumb side and then the pinky side of his balled fist.  The movement was very fast...way too fast for a child that age and it lasted for many seconds.  Can you help?
It is very possible that your grandson does not display any focal neurological problem - i.e., that there is no brain lesion or anything else grossly wrong from a neurological perspective. Thus, he would be deemd 'normal' by the neurologist. However, his psychomotor restlessness and his angry reaction to frustration and limit setting are not within the normal spectrum. It is likely he displays a hyperactivity syndrome typical of youngsters who exhibit Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. He should be evaluated re: this possibility. Further, his angry reactivity requires a systematic behavior management plan, of the sort that you can see described in Lynn Clark's book SOS Help for Parents. When he is being evaluated re: ADHD, it would be prudent to call the clinician's attention to his problematic angry behavior as well. The clinician can offer guidance and support to his parents.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments