Child Behavior Forum

7 year old son's behavior

Since an infant, when my son gets excited he tends to shake his arms and his face blushes.  My husband and I thought it was just cute that he liked a new toy or something, but now that he's 7, he still shakes his arms when he is happily excited, blushes and sweats.  He also repetitively pushes up the sleeves of his shirt and repeats the last few words of a sentence he just said about three times.  He may also repeat the last few words of sentences other people have just said to him.  He does not do this all the time, though.  His neurologist said he also is behind in his motor skills.  (He had to have tubes put in his ears, so I attributed some of his motor skill problem to his balance/ear problems  -- which is fine now, but he still is behind.)

His neurologist suggested therapy to improve his motor skills, but as for everything else, he said to wait and see how he handled school.  He is very bright in school but his teacher noticed a problem with his attention.  He seemed to trail off and played with his pencil instead of listening to her.  She had to keep calling his name to bring his attention back. When I questioned him about his lack of attention, he said his brain wouldn't work.  This disturbed me.

I would love your input.
Thank you.
Relative to your son's motor skills, if his limitations prevent him from engaging in the sorts of activities typical for his age it might well be worth pursuing some physical or occupational therapy. If the limitations are minor and he basically does what other children his age are doing, specialized treatment will likely not be necessary. The classroom behavior is typical of children who display Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, but do not rush to such a conclusion. If the drift in attention is preventing him from achieving the success of which he is otherwise capable, you might pursue an evaluation, but base your decision on whether the level of inattention he displays is an actual impediment. Lots of children, particularly young children, have limitations in attention - it's the nature of children - but it really doesn't interfere with normal functioning. Does your son strike you as anxious? Some of the behaviors you describe might indicate a bit of anxiety, though it's hard to tell. It sounds like his difficulties are more neurointegrative in nature than emotionally or psychologically based, though there can be combination of both. The central issue is whether or not any specialized intervention is warranted, and your description certainly does not indicate a compelling need for intervention.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments