Child Behavior Forum

9 yr.old son on Celexa for O.C.D., anxiety, tic disorder

My 9 yr. old (soon to be 10) son is on Celexa for OCD and anxiety, and is doing very well. A friend of mine who's son is also on Celexa noted that her sons penis seemed to have shrunk while on this medication. I thought she was being ridiculous, and ignorant!! ( this was last year) Then my little guy went on meds.  It might sound crazy but recently my son was doing a quick change of clothes in his room. I looked up and noticed how tiny,tiny ( he always seemed to be on the average to large size) his penis was. I was shocked!!!!  It's not just my imagination. His penis seems to have shrunk. I know that Celexa can cause sexual dysfunction in adults because the Celexa effects testosterone, and I've been told that young boys need testosterone for growth and normal genitilia growth. I'm really frightened. I'm not concerned with his eventual sex life as an adult. Hopefully he'll be off his meds, I don't know. But he already struggles with issues, I'd hate for him to have another one, especially this kind of physical one! Have you ever heard of this side effect on children. I know adderral and some stimulants can stunt growth, so maybe this is possible, I hope not. Any info. you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. I'll wait for a response. In addition I will be seeing his Psychiatrist and his Pediatrician within this month and will broach the subject.
Thank you,
Pegnanie
No, the medication does not affect penis size. What you more likely observed was the impact of the body/room temperature. The testicles will be drawn upward in cool air in order to maintain suitable temperature, and the same process can make it appear that the size of the penis has changed. It really has not. This apparent change is a response to body temperature (obviously affected by the temperature of the surrounding air).
I have read a lot about antidepressants on children. Go on www.antidepressantsfacts.com and check it out, you can learn a lot about antidepressant effects.
Thank you eniko. I went to that site and didn't have much luck. I will be seeing my son's psychiatrist and pediatritian in a couple of weeks and will broach this subject. I'm very concerned. Thanks again.
Your welcome. I am sorry if you didn`t get access to that site, it would be very informative, though. Please try again.
And please note that antidepressants in general (SSRI medications) can have critical effects on children, but they will never be off the market, unfortunately physicans will never admit it either. The doctor who prescribed it,  probably denies it also, but do some researches yourself, and you`ll see it.

Your right antidepressants can have critical results on children. For my son it was the lesser of two evils. His OCD/anxiety was so bad he made comments that were very dark,"I wish I didn't exist mommy" He was suffering etc...  questioning everything, feeling bad about every little thing and mistake he made. It started after the cat died a couple of years ago. When I went to the store, he would wonder,"Mom were ya goin?" I'd reply that I'd be right back, Daddy is here and Jenna, etc... "Well how do I know you won't die" It escalted for a couple of years, meds were the last resort. His learning issues make him feel anxious too. He also has a mild form of Tourettes. He was 8 wks early and had a 6wk. stay in the NICU, lots of apnea, and a bleed to his brain...-long story. He has a non-verbal learning disability also. He's the love of our lives and I'm hoping some day he'll find stategies and get off meds. I don't know though, he's calmer, more confident, not blinking and not as many vocal noises. He's gained some weight- that's about it. He's concentrating a little better in school- school is very hard for him-he gets several services. But he is very well liked due to his empathetic, loving nature-great sense of humor. He's back, since he's been on the meds????? I'm always looking for new info. I believe his biology and premature birth have allot to do with who he is. He's also in therapy.Believe me I hate giving him a pill every night, but I had to help him.It feels like a catch 22. Well thanks for listening, and I will continue to research and question his Drs. on this testosterone isuue,and keep a close eye on him, etc..... Thanks again.
Pegnanie
"You mean it SHRINKS?"

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Good luck with the problem.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments