Child Behavior Community

ADHD OR ADD??HELP!

WHAT IS THE AGE TO PROPERLY HAVE YOUR CHILD DIAGNOSED FOR ADHD OR ADD? I HAVE HAD MY SON IN THE DR.'S SO MANY TIMES TO FIND OUT WHAT IS GOING ON WITH HIM. NOW TEACHERS,DR.'S, AND EVERYONE ELSE SAYS HE IS CLASSIC ADHD WITH POSSIBILTY OF OCD. BUT HE ATTENDS THE CHILDRENS HOSPITAL CLINIC HERE IN CINCINNATI OHIO AND THEY TOLD MY HUSBAND THAT THEY DONT DIAGNOSE TILL 6 YRS OF AGE. WELL HE IS 6 NOW & I GET NOWHERE STILL. I FEEL BAD 4 HIM. GOD LOVE HIM HE CANT PAY ATT. OR EVEN SI STILL 4 LONGER THAN 5 MIN. HE SAYS HIS BRAIN WONT LET HIM & THATS 4 STARTERS. I CRY FOR HIM EVERY NIGHT. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. I CRY NOW EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT! THANX SO MUCH! ~MAREBEARS
I don't know that there is an "age for diagnosis."  6 yrs. old sounds reasonable enough because when children actually do have ADD or ADHD problems aren't always noticed until children start school for obvious reasons.  Does he have similar issues at home?  If you are already involved in treatment of some type through children's hospital clinic, then I would address your concerns with them and see what they say.
HOMEWORK TIME IS HORRIBLE FOR HIM. HE JUST GETS UP EVERY TWO SECONDS OR STARTS LOOKING FOR ANY REASON TO PLAY WITH SOMETHING. BUT WHEN I SAY OK TRISTAN LETS TAKE A BREAK, HE GETS SO UPSET BECAUSE HE WANTS TO KEEP GOING WITH TRYING TO DO HIS HOMEWORK. IT IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND. ITS ALMOST LIKE WE WILL B WORKING. EATING, OR EVEN WATCHING CARTOONS OR A MOVIE AND EVERY SOUND WILL PULL HIS ATTITION AWAY. I USED TO SAY MAYBE HE IS JUST VERY ALERT. BUT ITS NOW INTERFEARING WITH SOCIAL AND EDUCATIONAL TIME. ITS SO HARD. THIS STARTED AT ABOUT 3 YEARS OF AGE. WE HAD HIS EYES CHECKED LAST MONTH AND HE NEEDS GLASSES {VERY MILD CORRECTIVENESS) BUT HE IS STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUES EVERY WHERE.HE IS!!! TO SEE HIM SIT THROUGH MORE THEN 5 MIM OF HIS FAVORITE SHOW OR GAME WOULD BE A WISH COME TRUE FOR ALL OF US. WE PUT HIM IN COUNSELING{WANT TO GET THE MENTAL PART BEFORE JUST STICKING HIM ON PILLS}, AND THE COUNSELOR AGREES WITH GETTING HIM ON MEDS. I WAS HOPFUL SOMEONE WAS GOING THRU OR HAS GONE THRU THIS. NOW IF WE COULD JUST GET CHILDRENS ON THE BALL. THANX 4 THE HELP.
Is the counselor that you take him to a doctor?  I'm only asking because I am a clinical social worker and used to work with younger kids (ages 5 - 18), now i work with adolescents ages 12 -18 and do family work as well.  I bring this up (not sure where you are located), because all clinicians, counselors, etc are mandated to practice within the ethics of their professions.  As a clinical social worker, I know a lot about ADD, ADHD and other disorders, but ethically, I cannot  diagnose someone, or recommend medication, even if I think it's warranted.  I'm trained and knowledgeable regarding the use of medication so i can discuss side effects, etc.  Anyway, i was just wondering of this counselor is a doctor, if not, this counselor may be reacting too soon or practicing outside the scope of his/her practice.  If not a doctor and they feel meds are needed, this counselor should point you in the right direction.  Definitely get another opinion if you feel strongly about not wanting medication...there are effective ways to treat symptoms of ADHD, etc without meds...and if you like working with the children's hospital clinic, then again discuss this with them.  You're the mother and you know what your son needs best.  

Hope i didn't ramble too much and best wishes.
....just wanted to add that if you are located in the states and your son sees an LCSW (liscensed clinical social worker) they can diagnose people, however if a doctor disagrees with their diagnosis, they have to go by what the doctor says.