Aa
A
A
A
Close
Child Behavior Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
I'm the mother of three ADHD children and I'm an ADHD patient myself.Since I already know a lot of facts about ADHD,I have a problem with:1.Finding doctors that acknowledge my knowledge and don't feel offended by it.  2.How do I explain best to teachers how to handle my children in school and get them to cooperate?3.Since germany seems to be ages behind on research about ADHD where do I find most valid information about ADHD or literature which I can translate and forward to schools and doctors?
1 Responses
242606 tn?1243786248
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Ms. Mitchell,

Re: Finding doctors who appreciate your perspective on this condition, it's really a matter of word-of-mouth and trial-and-error. As with any area of specialization, medical persommel vary greatly in relation to the acknowledged expertise that many patients bring to their own condition.

Re: communication with teachers, there's never a substitute for respectful, patient convesation, buttressed perhaps by concise literature. In this regard, and responding to your third point as well, I would loudly recommend Barkley's Taking Charge of ADHD. It is a thorough, practical, down-to-earth manual that is of significant help to bith parents and teachers.
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments