Aa
A
A
A
Close
Child Behavior Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Anxiety

MY 8 1/2 YEAR OLD SON REFUSES TO TRY NEW FOODS. HE HAS NOW GOTTEN TO THE POINT WHERE HE IS GETTING TIRED OF THE FOOD HE WOULD ALWAYS EAT. HE HAS BEEN SEEING A COUNSELOR FOR HIS ANXIETY TOWARDS FOOD, BUT IT HAS NOT HELPED. WE HAVE TRIED MANY THINGS INCLUDING BRINGING NEW FOODS FOR HIM TON TRY IF HE WANTED TO IN FRONT OF THE COUNSELOR, RATING HIS ANXIETY AND HIS THOUGHTS ON HOW HE FELT IT WOULD TASTE AND HOW IT TASTED. THIS WORKED FOR A WHILE, BUT ONLY IN HER OFFICE. HE REFUSES TO TRY NEW FOODS IN FRONT OF PEOPLE/ FRIENDS AT SCHOOL, AND DOES NOT FALL TO PEER PRESSURE. WE ARE WORRIED HE IS NOT GETTING ENOUGH PROTEIN. HE WILL NOT EAT ANY MEAT EXCEPT CHICKEN NUGGETS, AND NOT HE IS BEGINNING TO GET TIRED OF THAT. HE WILL NOT EAT A COLD CHEESE SANDWICH OR ANY SANDWICH FOR THE PURPOSE OF LUNCHES AT SCHOOL. HE EXPRESSES TO ME THAT HE WISHES HE WAS LIKE ALL THE OTHER KIDS, AND WASN'T AFRAID TO EAT. HE ALSO HAS LATELY BEEN ON A CONFESSIONS JAG. TELLING ME EVERTHING HE HAS DONE, AND FEELING LIKE HE IS A BAD BOY. HE IS VERY WORRIED ABOUT SPIDERS, AND WILL NOT USE HIS BATHROOM IN HIS ROOM BECAUSE HE SAW SPIDERS IN THERE ONE DAY, SO HE RUNS UPSTAIRS TO USE THE BATHROOM EVEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. HE IS OVERLY CONCERNED ABOUT MAKING ME HAPPY AND MAKING SURE I AM SMILING AND NOT DISAPPOINTED IN HIM. HE IS AFRAID TO TELL HIS DAD SOME OF THE THINGS HE TALKS TO ME ABOUT BECAUSE HIS DAD TAKES THE APPROACH THAT HE IS DOING THESE THINGS TO GET ATTENTION. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO HELP MY SON. THERE ARE ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION TENDENCIES IN MY FAMILY INCLUDING MYSELF. MY SON HAS A FULL PLATE OF WORRIES TOPPED OFF BY THE FACT I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH DYSTONIA IN 2001 AND HAVE HAD DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION SURGERY. I CAN NOT DO MANY OF THE THINGS I USED TO DO WITH MY SON, BUT I TRY TO DO THINGS AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE, AND TO TRY TO ASSURE HIM THAT I WILL BE OKAY AND THAT I AM NOT DYING. THE EATING ANXIETY HAS ALWAYS BEEN A PROBLEM, BUT IS SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN WORSE IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS. IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED BY HIS PEDIATRICIAN THAT HE BE GIVEN SOME MEDICATION, BUT HIS DAD SAYS ABSOLUTELY NO! THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME TO HELP MY SON.
1 Responses
242606 tn?1243786248
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your son's symptoms are typical of children who display Generalized Anxiety Disorder, typified by some obsessive-compulsive symptoms, some phobic symptoms and others. Such conditions are biologically-determined and in part have their root in brain chemistry. Your son is certainly vulnerable to such a condition because of the positive family history. With mental health conditions that are biologically-determined, it is important to address pharmacological treatment. In fact, it would be irresponsible not to do so. If your son displayed astham, not for one minute would you hesitate to be sure he received the proper medication. If he displayed diabetes, you'd think the same way. It's no different when you're addrssing treatment for a biologically-determined mental or emotional condition. Relative to the nutritional needs of your son, as long as he is growing and developing fine you needn't worry. Mother Nature, so to speak, handles these things. Be sure to check with his pediatrician to be sure his growth pattern and lab work are all OK. If so, even children with a very restricted diet do quite well.
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments