I have thought Asperger's for a long time. He would be high functioning, no doubt. He is 6 years old and will be 7 in September. He goes to public school and will be in first grade next school year.
1. He picks his fingernails. All of his nails are down to the quick. His cuticles look awful. They will even sometimes bleed. We haven't been able to clip his nails in months.
2. He simply must say what he wants to say all the time. He does not acknowledge that somebody else is talking. We will ask, "Did you hear me and Mommy talking?" He will always reply, "Yes, but..."
3. He can't take a bath without asking at least 2-3 questions that have no concern with his bathing. It will be completely off the wall, but he will not stop until you answer his question.
4. He is terrified of certain things, such as getting into a pool. It was a kiddie pool that was 18 inches deep. His little sister was in it and she couldn't even walk yet. Playgrounds are another problem. He just started stepping on public playgrounds a year or so ago.
5. Behavior is really bad at times. This only happens at home or while we are out, never at school. He cries very easily. He has no idea why he is crying either. You can simply say, "Do you want to lose your Wii for a day?" and he will tear up. It's just strange how much he cries over stuff.
6. He will not let you touch him if he is hurt in some way. For example, if he scrapes his knee. He will cry his eyes out more because you want to put some neosporin on it than when he scraped it.
7. Nobody has been able to cut his hair except for my husband or my husband's mom. I tried taking him to my aunt (whom he knew very well) and he cried until he almost got sick. It was awful!
Any ideas? Is this just normal? He has actually gotten better about some things. I am a teacher. So maybe I am just paranoid about stuff. Thanks for any help. Even ideas to correct some things.