Child Behavior Forum

Attention Disorder

A seven year old boy in my class has had little success in school. He has been a concern since he entered kindergarten. He functions well below grade level. He is not a behavior problem. He is sweet and co-operative. His parents had refused to have him evaluated until this year. This little boy will sit and do little or nothing for the entire school day. He can attend for very short spands even with one on one support. He exhibits many of the symptoms of a learning disable child. Having taught for 35 years, with a special education background as well as regular education masters, I have worked with children with a wide range of disabilities but I have never experienced a child like this little boy. I believe he has ability but he will zone out while he is working and even in the middle of a sentence sometimes and it is dificult to get his focus back. He has great difficulty with short term memory. A simple 10 minute task can take him hours to complete. The school team is look at ADD. My instinct and experience tell me that it is something more especially since his parents told me that when the mom was 5 months pregnant with him she underwent major lung surgery and then was given a variety of drugs for various post-op complications. Doctors told her that her unborn child would not be harmed by the surgery or drugs in any way.  
Question: Could this child be experiencing some sort of mild almost unnoticable seizure caused by the anesthesia or drugs given to the mom when she had the surgery? I want very much for this little boy to be successful.
It is very likely that the boy displays learning disability in addition to possible attentional problem. Hopefully the evaluation you mentioned will help to clarify what is occurring. The pattern you describe is usually not due to seizure activity. Petit mal seizures can result in more brief periods of losing focus, but not the type of persistent lack of focus you are noticing. Now, this is not to suggest that an neurological evaluation should not be pasrt of a workup for the boy. It would help to ascertain if his neurological status is normal. I suspect that the evaluation will indicate learning disability and/or deficit in intelligence, as well as deficit in attention.
You sound like a very caring teacher and the short answer is yes.  Because you are a teacher and not a doctor I'm sure you know you can only report symptoms.  Tell the mom it doesn't look like the ADD you have seen in other kids but it looks like he just zones out.  DO NOT bring up the surgery.  Moms, in general, feel guilty enough already "blaming" her will not change anything.  You may be very correct in your assement but all you can really do is report what you see, leave it to the doctors to diagnose.

Thank you for caring about this child!  Things like this are hard for everyone,teacher, parent and child.

Good Luck,
Potassium
MORE DAMNING EVIDENCE ABOUT ADHD `MEDICATION`

Thursday, January 5, 2006 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

Reported risks spur new study of ADHD drugs
By Andrew Bridges

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments