Child Behavior Forum

Bedtime routine for anxious 8 year old

My husband and I have been together for 2 years now.  We each have 2 children from previous relationships and now have one together.  The ages are 1, 3, 5, 8 & 8.  My dilemma is this - my children, including the new baby, have always had a set bedtime & routine and have no problems following it.  My husband's children have always needed a parent with them to fall asleep.  His 8 year old daughter has developed GAD (with a touch of OCD) and EVERY night that she is with us is painful.  She begins asking "What time is?" around 7pm.  That then develops into "Do I look sleepy?" and "Do you think I'm going to fall asleep tonight?"  Each of these questions get repeated for the next 3-4 hours.  We had a routine in place that typically got her to sleep by 10:30pm (my children are asleep by 8-8:30), but lately it isn't working.  Can you please offer any suggestions on acceptable bedtime routines/procedures for a highly anxious child?  My anxiety is through the roof and I fear that I may need meds just to cope with her weekly visits.
To be frank, such acute anxiety will not be well managed by a change in routine. It invites pharmacological treatment. My advice to you is to confer with a child psychiatrist for the purpose of giving your daughter some medication. She is suffering too much to let this continue.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments