Child Behavior Forum

Daughter need Halp

"My granddaughter is distracted easily. She is a very bright girl, but tends to pay more attention to things around her than what is directed to her. She attended a private school during her 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades of school. My daughter now has her in public school. She has always had a problem paying attention in class. (talking to other students) She is a very smart girl...she has come in 1st and 2nd place in spelling bees (while in private school). She loves to read and pretend that she is a teacher. What can I do as a loving grandparent as well as pass on to my daughter to teach her to focus in class. Her teacher agrees that she is a very smart and obedient girl... but has problems focusing in class. EXAMPLE: If I am working with her on some of her math homework and the cat, her brother or grandfather walks by she is very easily distracted and I will have to almost start ALL over... she seems to forget some of what we were working on and we start all over. PLEA! SE, WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HER? Thanks in advance for your assistance."
She should undergo an evaluation to investigate the possibility of a disorder of attention (a neurological condition). The symptoms you describe are consistent with an Inattentive-type Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The evaluation can be conducted by either a pediatric neurologist or a child psychiatrist.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments