Aa
A
A
A
Close
Child Behavior Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Daughter need Halp

"My granddaughter is distracted easily. She is a very bright girl, but tends to pay more attention to things around her than what is directed to her. She attended a private school during her 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades of school. My daughter now has her in public school. She has always had a problem paying attention in class. (talking to other students) She is a very smart girl...she has come in 1st and 2nd place in spelling bees (while in private school). She loves to read and pretend that she is a teacher. What can I do as a loving grandparent as well as pass on to my daughter to teach her to focus in class. Her teacher agrees that she is a very smart and obedient girl... but has problems focusing in class. EXAMPLE: If I am working with her on some of her math homework and the cat, her brother or grandfather walks by she is very easily distracted and I will have to almost start ALL over... she seems to forget some of what we were working on and we start all over. PLEA! SE, WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HER? Thanks in advance for your assistance."
1 Responses
242606 tn?1243786248
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
She should undergo an evaluation to investigate the possibility of a disorder of attention (a neurological condition). The symptoms you describe are consistent with an Inattentive-type Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The evaluation can be conducted by either a pediatric neurologist or a child psychiatrist.
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments